Question Will This Chasis Fans Setup Work?

Jul 31, 2024
Hi guys, I'm planning to buy bunch of Lian Li P28 fans for my ITX build and I was wondering will this setup work with just only PWM Y splitter cable? Below is a rough diagram of how I want to setup the fans for my chasis. My mobo only have one chasis fan header (B650E-ITX STRIX).

3 x Lian Li p28 triple pack
3 x Lian Li p28 single pack

cf2JQZa.png

COLGeek

Cybernaut
To control that many fans, you'll need a fan controller/hub.

What is the make/model of your case/chassis? Never mind, I found in your other thread.

You'll want to make your bottom and side fans intake and your top and rear fans exhaust. Airflow is atypical due to the glass front of the case itself.

Something like this should do the trick:

Why so many fans?

Last edited:

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Your sketch indicates use of TWELVE fans. Although the case shown has space for that, do you really plan to install all of them? Most people would consider that real overkill!

IF that is your plan, you will need TWO fan HUBS. Just to clarify, a HUB has THREE types of connections, irrespective of the physical appearance of it. It has ONE input cable that connects to a single mobo header. It has several male output connectors where you plug in fans. Lastly (and this is where it differs from a Splitter) it has one cable (or connector) that MUST connect to a power output directly from the PSU so it can get enough power for all its fans and draw NO power from the host header. This connection usually is to a SATA power output from the PSU, although older models may connect to a PSU 4-pin Molex connector. Hubs typically have 4 to 8 output ports for fans.

Your diagram appears to show at the top a radiator (part of a liquid cooling system) fitted in a push / pull fashion with a total of six fans. ALL of those fans MUST be controlled via the CPU_FAN header in some fashion because that header always uses for guidance the temperature sensor inside the CPU chip. So that is one fan Hub for those six fans. Then all your other fans (bottom, side and rear) are case ventilation fans, and those as a group should be connected to a second Hub that is connected to your single CHA_FAN header. This header uses a different temp sensor on the mobo.

Jul 31, 2024
To control that many fans, you'll need a fan controller/hub.

What is the make/model of your case/chassis? Never mind, I found in your other thread.

You'll want to make your bottom and side fans intake and your top and rear fans exhaust. Airflow is atypical due to the glass front of the case itself.

Something like this should do the trick:

Why so many fans?
Yup I'm planning to do like that, bottom and side as intake while rear and top as exhaust. The answer on why so many fans, I wanted to go all out on this build with the new ryzen 9000 series.

Jul 31, 2024
More fans does not automatically mean better cooling.
You recon that I don't do the push-pull setup? Haha I never tried a push-pull before so I really wanted to see the outcome here, just that I'm confused what I needed to buy in order to achieve the connection for these many fans, (12 in total).

Jul 31, 2024
Your sketch indicates use of TWELVE fans. Although the case shown has space for that, do you really plan to install all of them? Most people would consider that real overkill!

IF that is your plan, you will need TWO fan HUBS. Just to clarify, a HUB has THREE types of connections, irrespective of the physical appearance of it. It has ONE input cable that connects to a single mobo header. It has several male output connectors where you plug in fans. Lastly (and this is where it differs from a Splitter) it has one cable (or connector) that MUST connect to a power output directly from the PSU so it can get enough power for all its fans and draw NO power from the host header. This connection usually is to a SATA power output from the PSU, although older models may connect to a PSU 4-pin Molex connector. Hubs typically have 4 to 8 output ports for fans.

Your diagram appears to show at the top a radiator (part of a liquid cooling system) fitted in a push / pull fashion with a total of six fans. ALL of those fans MUST be controlled via the CPU_FAN header in some fashion because that header always uses for guidance the temperature sensor inside the CPU chip. So that is one fan Hub for those six fans. Then all your other fans (bottom, side and rear) are case ventilation fans, and those as a group should be connected to a second Hub that is connected to your single CHA_FAN header. This header uses a different temp sensor on the mobo.
Thanks for your input I really appreciate it. Yes you're right, I'm planning to do a push-pull setup with EK Nucleus CR360 for the Ryzen 9000 series. Hmm if the radiator fans is going to connect to the CPU_FAN, what approach do I need to take here since I assume that the AIO also have some wires that needs to connect to the CPU_FAN also right in this case.

Edit: So the radiator fans for the push pull will connect to the CPU_FAN and the AIO pump wire to the pump header while other fans in the case to the CHASIS_FAN header right? Do you recon I still need a separate controller to connect to CPU_FAN as the CPU_FAN header might not draw that much power for 6 fans?

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
You recon that I don't do the push-pull setup? Haha I never tried a push-pull before so I really wanted to see the outcome here, just that I'm confused what I needed to buy in order to achieve the connection for these many fans, (12 in total).
You'd have to do an A-B comparison to see if it is worth it.

Push-pull through the rad probably doesn't help nearly as much as you think it might.
If it did, that would be a standard config, and we'd all be doing it.