[SOLVED] Will this work together? Is this a good build?

Jake The Daug

Prominent
Dec 8, 2019
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox 5
MotherBoard: Motherboard MSI H310I PRO

CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-6400 Processor
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER Ventus XS 4G OC
PSU: Corsair CX-500W 12cm Builder Series V2 80Plus
CPU Cooler: Deepcool Frostwin CPU Cooler
Ram: Corsair SODimm Vengeance 8GB DDR4 2666Mhz
HDD: Seagate 1TB HDD 2.5 SATAIII 128MB

Solution
It probably didn't. It was a niche cpu that was honestly short lived, especially once the microcode locks were forced. I haven't seen anybody upgrading from that yet. Quads were king back then, not many got any real use from a Pentium. Some ppl tried, then GTA:V landed, and that was that for dual cores. I3 was mainly on low-end prebuilts, so grandma's and pre-teens were good, the i5 and i7 were more gaming and upper end, along with the price.

Problem with Intel is there's no real difference between 9400f and 9600k, little bit of clock speed and a lot of cash. 6/6 still. 9700k steps up to 8/8 and 9900k is the new i7 with hyperthreading. And a rediculous price, power need, mobo requirement and over the top cooling. It's basically down to...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Pretty much wrong across the board.

CPU incompatible, that is laptop memory you have chosen (I checked, board takes regular DIMMs)

Not going to bother looking at the CPU cooler.

Case is fine, Powersupply is adequate, but not high quality.

GPU would work.

Jake The Daug

Prominent
Dec 8, 2019
Pretty much wrong across the board.

CPU incompatible, that is laptop memory you have chosen (I checked, board takes regular DIMMs)

Not going to bother looking at the CPU cooler.

Case is fine, Powersupply is adequate, but not high quality.

GPU would work.

Could you recommend me a better powersupply?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Case: not bad.
Mobo: 8th/9th gen Intel mITX (hotdog in a hallway in ATX case)
Cpu: slowest possible i5 in more years than I can remember. For most games it was stomped on by the i3-6100. 6th gen, incompatible with chosen motherboard.
Gpu: 1650S, barely a few fps better than older gtx1060 6Gb. Decent for 1080p/60Hz
Psu: Older CX builder class, should be retired.
Cooler: works OK on most mid range cpus.
Ram: SODimm is for laptops....
Hdd: industry standard 1Tb, nothing special except its an hdd, therefore slow.

Bad build isn't really doing it justice. Terrible/impossible would be closer to the mark.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Best to have a budget in mind and have people provide full builds for this one.

This one has major component issues. So something has to change and that will set the direction for the rest of a recommendation.

Corsair makes decent power supplies, but at the price point this seems to be targeting, probably not the best choice. Low wattage Seasonic bronze maybe. 620W and 520W go on sale quite regularly.

pcpartpicker.com will keep you from making huge compatibility blunders.

Though I suspect this is rapidly going down the AMD Ryzen 3 or 5 route like all budget recommendations of late.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I know why they won't, but all they really need to do is allow overclocking. That would give Intel the clock speed advantage for gaming builds. Then again, AMD is free to cater to enthusiasts, Intel's primary income is not gamers.

I wonder what their return on the G3258 was, or how much it hurt i3 and i5 sales.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It probably didn't. It was a niche cpu that was honestly short lived, especially once the microcode locks were forced. I haven't seen anybody upgrading from that yet. Quads were king back then, not many got any real use from a Pentium. Some ppl tried, then GTA:V landed, and that was that for dual cores. I3 was mainly on low-end prebuilts, so grandma's and pre-teens were good, the i5 and i7 were more gaming and upper end, along with the price.

Problem with Intel is there's no real difference between 9400f and 9600k, little bit of clock speed and a lot of cash. 6/6 still. 9700k steps up to 8/8 and 9900k is the new i7 with hyperthreading. And a rediculous price, power need, mobo requirement and over the top cooling. It's basically down to 3 cpu choice, the 9400f, 9700k and 9900k, i3/i5/i7 all over, except for pricing, which is beyond asinine. It's go Big or go AMD, lack of threads ability in mid-range cpus is gonna hurt overall.

If Intel had stayed i3 9400f-9500k 4/8, i5 9600-9700k 8/8 and i7 9900-9900k 8/16 at reasonable prices, they'd be killing AMD just as they did in FX - 3rd/4th gen days.

Last edited:
Solution