[SOLVED] Will using smart plug with a computer monitor cause any damage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

djsolidsnake86

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2015
Using a wifi smart plug on a pc monitor, i was wondering if this will damage the monitor at all since turning it off is basically like unplugging the monitor while it's still turned on , it can damage the display electronics?

Solution
Every time I'm driving, I'm usually speeding. Only usually 5-10mph over the posted limit, but that's speeding non the less. It's not hurting the car, me, anything else. If asked if occasional speeding is fine, that's a different story. No it's not fine, it's not ok. Speed limits are posted for a reason, and it's almost always not so Troopers can make money.

You can speed every day for 10 years, like that one poster, in different cars at different times and never get caught, and not think twice about it. Until you do.

Dude has had multiple monitors, Lg, Asus, Acer, Philips, Dell... in 10 years. I wonder just how many were affected by the rf/wireless smart plug he used and never thought twice about. Eh, monitor died, it happens, guess...

Cj-tech

Reputable
Jan 27, 2021
Using a wifi smart plug on a pc monitor, i was wondering if this will damage the monitor at all since turning it off is basically like unplugging the monitor while it's still turned on , it can damage the display electronics?
It’s basically like turning the power on/off in your house but only for one device. I wouldn’t do that except on something like a lamp. I’d never force a computer device to turn off by removing its power source (unless it was absolutely necessary).

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Depends on the actual smart plug. If there's any hesitation in the off to on state, you'll get voltage spikes, and yes that can damage sensitive electronics, which is why it's best left to analog devices like light bulbs, which can take a spike and absorb the hit.

Monitors in Standby (off) mode basically use little more wattage than it takes to light up the power led, a pc in Standby mode uses considerably more wattage. So there's no real point to needlessly jeopardize the monitor with a 'smart plug'.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Every time I'm driving, I'm usually speeding. Only usually 5-10mph over the posted limit, but that's speeding non the less. It's not hurting the car, me, anything else. If asked if occasional speeding is fine, that's a different story. No it's not fine, it's not ok. Speed limits are posted for a reason, and it's almost always not so Troopers can make money.

You can speed every day for 10 years, like that one poster, in different cars at different times and never get caught, and not think twice about it. Until you do.

Dude has had multiple monitors, Lg, Asus, Acer, Philips, Dell... in 10 years. I wonder just how many were affected by the rf/wireless smart plug he used and never thought twice about. Eh, monitor died, it happens, guess I'll get a new one. And never bothered to ask 'Why' it died or if there were other reasons.

It's reddit. Take it with a grain of salt, or three...

Reactions: Cj-tech
Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it Will happen, or it Will damage the monitor, I'm saying it increases the chances that it Can happen or Can damage the monitor.

Monitors and Tv's are very sensitive to voltage fluctuations, they have circuitry to shut them down when they loose signal or you push the power button, it's a 'soft off' or a 'soft on'. Sudden power loss and/or sudden power on can spike the internals without those dampening circuits involved.

It's like climbing into a cold pool. Most ppl start at the shallow end and gradually get deeper, taking it slow. Sudden offs/ons is like jumping in the deep end and electronics are not favorable to having their breath taken away or the instant heart pounding.

That's my 2¢. Up to you if you use it, believe it or not.

Reactions: Cj-tech
Status
Not open for further replies.