[SOLVED] Will Win7 computer with embedded key update to Win10 with USB?

_dawn_chorus_

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
My Dad has an older computer that came with Win7 installed and I was going to stick my Win10 USB in and update it.
I have been able to update several devices that came with Win8 originally this way and their embedded Windows Key works to activate the new installation of Win10.

Will this work on a Win7 device though?

Solution
My Dad has an older computer that came with Win7 installed and I was going to stick my Win10 USB in and update it.
I have been able to update several devices that came with Win8 originally this way and their embedded Windows Key works to activate the new installation of Win10.

It should, yes.
Even though the free Upgrade window for Win 10 closed long ago...it still works.

USAFRet

Titan

It should, yes.
Even though the free Upgrade window for Win 10 closed long ago...it still works.

Solution

howtobeironic

Honorable
Jun 16, 2018
As a story, I have upgraded a Win7 Pro embedded key towards Win10 by choosing "I don't have a product key" when it asked. It self-activated in the first boot. Win7 keys should be showing up in LicenseCrawler or programs that can read the embedded keys for reference purposes.