[SOLVED] Win 10 comes with Realtek audio drivers already installed that I cannot uninstall?

Dec 17, 2019
Hello,

The ultimate goal is to run HD Audio Manager, so I can configure my multiple physical devices. But no matter where I try to download drivers from, I get stuck in the install/uninstall loop. And I cannot break from it because I don't see the "Realtek High Definition Audio Driver" to manually uninstall it.

I reset my Win10 to try solve this issue but it persists:

1. I install a fresh copy of Win10
  2. Apparently, there are Realtek drivers already installed*
  3. I cannot open HD Audio Manager from anywhere (there's a Realtek folder but the HD audio manager exe is not in it)
  4. I go to the MOBO manufacturer website to download drivers
  5. I download the latest Realtek HD Audio Driver from there
  6. I try to run the setup but it says "Installing drivers is a two-step process, we first need to remove your old driver".
  7. I'm like "Sure!", I click next, next, next, the drivers supposedly uninstall and I have to restart the PC
  8. I boot up the setup starts over saying "Installing drivers is a two-step process, we first need to remove your old driver".
  9. It makes me uninstall and restart Ad infinitum
  10. I've had similar problems before, so I search internet for "How to uninstall Realtek"
  11. The problem is, I don't even HAVE "Realtek High Definition Audio Driver" that I can manually uninstall! (As far as I can tell):
When I open Device Manager, under Sound, video and game controllers I only see these two, even with "Show hidden devices":
* High Definition Audio Device
* Realtek(R) Audio

I don't understand. Is one of these two the same as "Realtek High Definition Audio Driver"? Because, every time I try to install it, it says I already have one.
I think there's something at play here, I am not seeing.

Please, advise.

Happy holidays!

Solution
un-installing a sound driver is simple, click on your search box, type DEVICE MANAGER, find the sound icon open it and rigth click uninstall, if you cannot, then its becauise your IT guy installed a corporate copy and you have no admin rights on your system. go talk to him about this issue. image oif what it looks like;
JyVwhWe.png
Dec 17, 2019
Honestly, I don't know what to tell you. The IT guys at the office installed one for my home pc.

Although, when I reset it, it should no longer matter, no? It's Windows 10 Pro.

Then again, maybe I'm interpreting things the wrong way. Probably, some updates happen somewhere on the way. And the result is that I have those drivers already on.

Is there a good way, to be absolutely crystal-clear sure way to uninstall audio drivers? I know there is specialized software but many people are against most of those. Any "good" ones?

Dec 17, 2019
Right. Thank you, mister.

I do have rights.

My question is though is this thing you've selected in the image "Realtek(R) Audio Driver" the same as "Realtek High Definition Audio Driver"? I

t could be a newbie question, but oh well.

Dec 23, 2019
well that is normal because it a chip on your motherboard. if you go to device manager you can see in properties of the chipset and the date of the driver installed. why are you trying to install another version ?
Hello,

The ultimate goal is to run HD Audio Manager, so I can configure my multiple physical devices. But no matter where I try to download drivers from, I get stuck in the install/uninstall loop. And I cannot break from it because I don't see the "Realtek High Definition Audio Driver" to manually uninstall it.

I reset my Win10 to try solve this issue but it persists:

1. I install a fresh copy of Win10
  2. Apparently, there are Realtek drivers already installed*
  3. I cannot open HD Audio Manager from anywhere (there's a Realtek folder but the HD audio manager exe is not in it)
  4. I go to the MOBO manufacturer website to download drivers
  5. I download the latest Realtek HD Audio Driver from there
  6. I try to run the setup but it says "Installing drivers is a two-step process, we first need to remove your old driver".
  7. I'm like "Sure!", I click next, next, next, the drivers supposedly uninstall and I have to restart the PC
  8. I boot up the setup starts over saying "Installing drivers is a two-step process, we first need to remove your old driver".
  9. It makes me uninstall and restart Ad infinitum
  10. I've had similar problems before, so I search internet for "How to uninstall Realtek"
  11. The problem is, I don't even HAVE "Realtek High Definition Audio Driver" that I can manually uninstall! (As far as I can tell):
When I open Device Manager, under Sound, video and game controllers I only see these two, even with "Show hidden devices":
* High Definition Audio Device
* Realtek(R) Audio

I don't understand. Is one of these two the same as "Realtek High Definition Audio Driver"? Because, every time I try to install it, it says I already have one.
I think there's something at play here, I am not seeing.

Please, advise.

Happy holidays!
I have had this exact problem - word for word as above - since a few weeks ago. I figured it was a WIN10 update.
I went to Realtek official site, log in, DL a copy of their HUGE exe containing SOME sort of most recent audio drivers, and I get the same installation loop as the OP.
So it's happening.
I have found, surfing the internet, instructions for wiping all Realtek drivers, which sounds sensible, but I don't know if it's a real solution or just internet floatage.
ISME