Question Win 7 freezes during install

Aug 29, 2022
Hi all, Thanks for your help so far.

This is my first PC build .
my spec is
  1. Corsair CV Series CV650 650W 80 Plus
  2. AMD Radeon HD7870 Gigabyte OC edition 2GB GDDR5
  3. Gigabyte H610M H DDR4 motherboard Rev 1,0
  4. 16Gb RAM - HyperX FURY Black HX432C16FB3K2/8 Memory 16 GB Kit 3200MHz DDR4 CL16 DIMM
  5. Intel Core i3 12100F LGA1700 CPU
  6. Crucial MX300 2.5" SSD 275G
  7. Viper AVP-EL03 case
I'm trying to install Win7 from DVD - everything seems to be going fine until the swirling dots logo starts to appear and then it freezes. Hopefully its something simple that I've overlooked.

All components are recognised in the BIOS

Thanks Jon

I'm trying to install Win7 from DVD - everything seems to be going fine until the swirling dots logo starts to appear and then it freezes. Hopefully its something simple that I've overlooked.
Is DVD drive USB or SATA connected?
With USB connected drive it's not going to work.
Also you'll also need PS/2 keyboard and mouse. USB devices will not work until proper USB drivers are installed.

For proper windows 7 install on modern hardware, USB drivers and several hotfixes need to be integrated into installation or install is not possible.
For that you need to install from USB flash drive and use specific utility to integrate drivers/hotfixes.
That can be done with Gigabyte windows install tool.
https://www.gigabyte.com/Support/Utility?kw=windows&p=1

Aug 29, 2022
Have you tried Windows 10 install media? A Windows 7 install is completely inappropriate for this build.
Hi DSzymborski - I understand exactly where you are coming from but this is a budget build and I still like Win7. I have the installation disk and I think its a shame not to use it.

Aug 29, 2022
Is DVD drive USB or SATA connected?
With USB connected drive it's not going to work.
Also you'll also need PS/2 keyboard and mouse. USB devices will not work until proper USB drivers are installed.

For proper windows 7 install on modern hardware, USB drivers and several hotfixes need to be integrated into installation or install is not possible.
For that you need to install from USB flash drive and use specific utility to integrate drivers/hotfixes.
That can be done with Gigabyte windows install tool.
https://www.gigabyte.com/Support/Utility?kw=windows&p=1
Hi Skynetrising, the DVD is SATA connected and I'm using USB keyboard and mouse and both were recognised with no problems. I will try the Gigabyte tool - thanks for this

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Hi DSzymborski - I understand exactly where you are coming from but this is a budget build and I still like Win7. I have the installation disk and I think its a shame not to use it.

You're using a very new platform . Budget or not, that means Windows 10. It's a much bigger shame to awkwardly slap a long-dead OS onto new hardware that was never designed to work with it.

In any case, unless this was a retail Windows 7, by which you mean you bought a full price standalone copy, not something that came with any other PC or the version for system builders, activation's going to fail in the new future anyway. Not that using Windows 7 makes the slightest bit of sense with this hardware, of course.

While I'm not going to help someone install an OS incorrectly, identifying the exact edition and source of your copy of Windows 7 would be useful to someone else.