Win 98 to win xp

csbetale

Reputable
Mar 19, 2018
I am having two hard drive one with win 8.1 another with win 98 in am trying to upgrade my win 98 to win xp but while installing it says unable to write data on c drive

Solution
If your BIOS has USB Legacy Support enabled, you could buy a 32GB SanDisk USB drive and install XP on to that.

Then at boot-time, you will have to press F10 or 12 or whichever gives you the oppportunity to choose which system to run. It's safer than most dual-boot setups.

When you have the installation running, try to find a download of Service Pack 3. You won't feel safe on the Net without it.

SneakLerd

Commendable
Feb 7, 2017

Greetings
By updating, do you mean going through windows logon, and then trying to install?
I think you will find greater success to install via BIOS, sorry if you already have tried this

Regards

zoltan.boese

Estimable
Jan 30, 2018
MERGED QUESTION
Question from csbetale : "Win 98 to win xp"

Windows will not be installed on any partition where there is another instance of an operation system already installed. The only exception is the windows 10.
So I advise backing up your data from the drive, wipe it clean with a quick format and re run the installation.
By the way neither win 98 nor winXP are supported by Microsoft anymore. There will be no patches and you will have to face security risks using those OSs. Why do you need them? Does compatibility more not work with the softwares you are intended to run?

If your BIOS has USB Legacy Support enabled, you could buy a 32GB SanDisk USB drive and install XP on to that.

Then at boot-time, you will have to press F10 or 12 or whichever gives you the oppportunity to choose which system to run. It's safer than most dual-boot setups.

When you have the installation running, try to find a download of Service Pack 3. You won't feel safe on the Net without it.

Solution