Win XP modem AOL problem

pepar

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2002
This has absolutely been driving me nuts. I built a computer for a friend with a Via KT266a chipsetted mobo and installed Windows XP. Everything went smooth until the modem which at that time was some funky thing that wasn't XP compatible. Enter the SupraExpress 56k USB. XP knows it's there and talks with it. AOL System INformation knows it's there and talks to it. But unless the modem is selected as "Standard (Hayes Compatible)", AOL can't initialize. When set to the standard HAyes, it does initialize, dial and connect. But it either hangs up and redials after 'talking to network', times out or gets in and then falls apart and won't access sites. And the saga continues. I switched to a MultiTech USB modem - EXACT same problem. And I switched to a Supra Max PCI - EXACT same problem. Three modems all produced the same results. FYI, the MUltiTech was then put back in the Win98 system it was pulled from and worked once more. Can anybody hel with this? Thanks in advance!

"Veni, vidi, vino."
"(I came, I saw, I drank wine.")

G

Well let me say that I have seen this problem many times with different modems. My normal recommendation when using a modem is to generally use strictly either 3Com/USR or Diamond based modems. Sofware based modems (as an only internet connection) is a very rocky road to follow down.

Now to the problem at hand. From what i have seen the AOL software is very fickle with PCI Soft-Modems and USB Modems (which also use Software based Com Ports for Emulation). Unfortunatley the only real way to alleviate this problem is to get Host-controlled modem. In other words, a modem that does not use software to emulate a physical com port.

I myslef have a US Robotics Courier V.Everything modem, which was the best modem ever made. It still retails for over $140. That is way too much, BUT you ca get a Diamond Supra Modem PCI for about $30. All the AOL problems will go away.

Stay away from Soft Modems or USB modems as your only connection to the internet. They will "bite you in the ass" everytime.

Chris B
WeBtRoNiX PC _-Debut 2/02-_
www.webtronixpc.com

pepar

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2002
Thanks for the quick reply. I thought the Supra Max PCI (Conexant HCF) *was* a hardware modem . . .

"Veni, vidi, vino."

pepar

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2002
. . . which was one of the modems I had the problem with (along with the USBs) . .

"Veni, vidi, vino."

G

Rule of thumb, any modem chipset made by coniexant is normally a soft-based modem. They are VERY problematic and give real crap performance.