Nov 11, 2019
Hi everyone! Long time lurker.

I built this PC yesterday: part list

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor
MOBO: Gigabyte B450 AORUS PRO WIFI (rev. 1.0) ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
SSD: Western Digital Black NVMe 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB PULSE Video Card

However I am unable to install windows 10 because of this error: Win10 Driver error

All my BIOS settings: BIOS settings. I've also tried every permutation of disabling fast boot, enabling legacy mode for "storage boot option control" and "other PCI device rom priority". Booting from USB key works fine.

I've tried many things. I have a 32gb usb key that I used to make an image of the latest Win10_1903_V2_English_x64.iso using balenaEtcher/dragging iso files to the drive. The only way it even booted into the install image is if I formatted it as MS-DOS which from my understanding is FAT32 meaning there can't be >4gb files. I tried every permutation of formatting as NTFS+GUID/NTFS+MBR/MS-DOS+GUID/MS-DOS+MBR/exFat etc.

So once I saw the driver error, I went to Gigabyte B450 Aorus rev1 drivers page , selected Windows 10 64bit, downloaded all the chipset+sata raid drivers. They all support the latest 1903 windows build.

I loaded these drivers up on my external HD (unzipped + zipped). Then I went to select them in the windows setup linked above and it only showed folders, no files. I selected the folder with the drivers in it, and also each individual subfolder etc, and nothing. Unticked the "hide drivers" box too.

I've also tried doing the USB swap where I go back to the "install windows" screen and put the usb in a different 2.0 port. I only have 2x2.0 ports, also tried to install via the 3.0 port, same errors.

I am at an absolute stand still. The only other computer I have available to me is my Macbook running mojave, no windows machine at all. I was thinking of installing the 32bit version because its only 3.5gb so no single file is >4gb meaning I can safely format it as MS-DOS(fat32) but that one wouldn't even boot.

So, how can I fix this? I'm tearing my hair out lol. Seriously have no idea what to do.

Last edited:
Reactions: JuanNoguera20
Nov 11, 2019
This is a common error with windows 10 not even just Ryzen. there are 3 solutions:

1. use a PS/2 connector keyboard and mouse for the install
  2. Relocate the Install USB to a USB 2.0 port
  3. Try a different USB stick

Why the Ps/2 connector keyboard+mouse? I relocated between both 2.0 usb ports many times. Tried a different USB stick as well. Same errors.

Could be an issue with my NVMe SSD needing initialization maybe?

Nov 11, 2019
download the latest windows 10 installation media from microsoft website?

"I have a 32gb usb key that I used to make an image of the latest Win10_1903_V2_English_x64.iso" in OP.

I just followed the instructions here: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...indows-8-media-drivers-install-error.2039580/

And now I get this error: View: https://imgur.com/a/3QdFdxP
- "An operating system wasn't found. Try disconnecting any drives that don't contain an operating system. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart"

Nov 11, 2019
Try using the Microsoft media creation tool to create the install media.
You are doing something wrong. Windows 10 should have the driver to at least boot to install
try another usb port? another usb flash drive?

read thru this https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

"The only other computer I have available to me is my Macbook running mojave, no windows machine at all"

It does boot into windows setup, it just asks me for drivers and I can't get past that screen. I'm reading your link and I'm doing everything right.

Dual booting my mac so I can use the media creation tool. Will update soon. I found an old HDD and an enclosure so I'm going to try to make use of that, removed the NVMe drive for now. Still have the exact same driver errors.

I'm sure it will work with the media creation tool. Tried to install via USB onto my x120e lenovo as well (it has arch on it right now) but couldn't get that working at all either.

Status
Not open for further replies.