[SOLVED] Windows 10 Audio Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

spazbandicoot

Reputable
Jan 24, 2018
Hi there,

I'm currently having an extremely frustrating issue with my Audio in Windows 10:

Since 3 or 4 days ago, any connected Audio device has been rapidly switched to another device/disabled/disconnected/uninstalled in what seems to be hundreds of times a second.
Whenever this occurs, the 'Windows Audio Endpoint Builder' constantly eats up 10+% of my CPU usage (AMD Ryzen 5 3600).

Additionally, there is an inconsistent static in any set of Speakers or Headphones that are plugged into the PC's Front or Rear 3.5mm Jacks. No sound from Windows and Programs.

All Speakers/Headphones work on any other device.

I tried re-installing any Audio drivers to no avail. Previous Audio drivers were Realtek's. They are currently Microsoft's own 'High Definition Audio Device' Drivers. Installing Realtek's Audio Drivers do not fix the problem.

On rare occasions, the Audio works properly. After restarting the PC, the issue returns pretty much every time after booting up.

I have not made any hardware changes or modifications that would potentially result in an issue like this. Nothing was moved, connected or disconnected internally.

I have since re-installed a fresh copy of Windows via USB, but after installing windows updates and basic software, such as GPU Drivers, Chrome, Steam, etc., and performing a single restart, the issue has returned.

Disconnecting all Audio devices for a few minutes, seems to temporarily fix the problem - the Windows Audio Endpoint Builder service appears to stop going rogue.
Any attempts to change multiple Audio settings results in the afformentioned issues.

I am not sure wether this is a Hardware or Software issue, or something completely different. A problem with the latest Windows update, perhaps? I'm currently running version 20H2 19042.685.

Please help me resolve these issues ASAP. My course work revolves around Audio.

Cheers.

spazbandicoot

Reputable
Jan 24, 2018
Update:

The problem seems to lie within the 'HD Audio' on my Motherboard.

There is no physical damage to the internal HD Audio connecter - the problem is almost certainly jack detection issues with HD Audio when using Headphones/Earphones with 3 rings on the 3.5mm jack, in a slot for both Headphones and/or Microphones.

Switching to AC97 Audio in the BIOS fixed the device switching issue. However, I still don't know the exact reason why HD Audio started causing these problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.