Question Windows 10 Ethernet adapter Error 10 "The device cannot start"

Mar 10, 2024
Hello, I currently have a Dell OptiPlex 7020 SFF with Windows 10 installed and a LAN adapter "Intel(R) Ethernet Connection I217-LM", and when I turn on the machine, the Ethernet adapter does not appear with a connection except in Device Manager where I get Error 10 "The device cannot start".

However, when I restart the machine, the network interface works as expected and has no issues. I have already tried to install the driver update through Windows Update. By the way, there are no other physical network adapters attached. However, I do have a VirtualBox adapter installed but that is currently disabled. I also have tried to install the network drivers provided by Dell for this model, and to no avail when trying to boot the machine from the powered-off state. When it reaches the lock screen, there is no network connection and when clicking the network icon no connection whatsoever and only a greyed-out Airplane Mode button. Logging in and opening Device Manager also gives the same result, where the adapter is detected but Error 10 is present. Only when I reboot the machine does it work.

Additionally, I have tried resetting the adapter using the Intel BootUtil tool and while it did complete the issue is still present when starting the machine up as previously mentioned. I have also tried the command "netcfg -d" and while it also completed successfully and working still after rebooting, when I shut down the machine and then power it up again it still has the same issue. I have tried creating and deleting the Upper/LowerLevel keys for the driver/adapter to no avail.

I would like to rule out hardware issues as my system has PXE boot enabled and when the Intel Boot Agent screen appears it does receive a valid IP address from the DHCP server. Also, the activity lights remain on the entire time the system is on (including when Error 10 is present). My current Windows install was fresh when I noticed the issue (implying that the error was present from the beginning).

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I have already tried disabling the option "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" and one of the times when I tried to access the Device Manager I did get a BSOD "DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE".

EDIT 2: Recalling the first few days of the new installation, the network adapter did not have any of the issues described above.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank you.

Last edited:

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
Last edited:
Mar 10, 2024
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000060145/ethernet-products.html

update BIOS https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=68xwg

No need to enable PXE boot in the BIOS, that's for emote install an OS from the network server, don't think you need that functionality.

Since you already tried resetting the network, reinstall Windows is another option.

If nothing works, then buy a new PCIe / USB NIC.
Greetings lantis3, I attempted to update the BIOS, but my PC simply just rebooted back into Windows after running the update executable. Confirming the version shows that indeed no update was performed. Is there another method I should try if other troubleshooting options work to get the BIOS updated if need be?

( I am on BIOS version A02 and the latest according to Dell for my specific model/service tag is A18).

Thank you again.

Mar 10, 2024
Hello, I know it has been a few days but I was unable to get it to work even the next version up (A02). To confirm that it was indeed hardware level, I tried a Windows 11 To Go install on a USB (to replicate a clean installation) and upon setting up and logging in there is no network connection. Looking in Device Manager, the adapter shows up with the same error 10 message as previously mentioned in my original post.

I tried to use FreeDOS to execute the BIOS update, but I could not get it to point to the proper directory (root directory) in testing mode. In addition, I attempted to use the method of updating directly from a USB drive in the boot menu. I choose the appropriate update executable, and it restarts, but also does not update. I heard it could have something to do with the CMOS, so I attempted to remove the password jumper and CMOS battery and turn the system on to see if it would fix the issue but did not update, and attempting to update again just gave the same result.

Thank you again.