Question Windows 10 hangs for 30 mins on the loading street when I restart, but not when I shut down

Dimitri001

Reputable
Oct 11, 2019
This has been going on for years and I've never addressed it, because I rarely restart the computer, but recently it started becoming a problem.

If I shut my computer down and then turn it on, everything happens normally, but if I restart the computer or if I do an update and then shut it down, it will hang on the loading screen for like 30 minutes before eventually booting into windows. By the loading screen I mean the black screen with the blue windows logo in the middle and the little loading circle spinning underneath it.

Sometimes when it's stuck at this screen I'll hear the HDD working and working and working really hard, while at other times, there's absolutely no sound from the HDD, as if it's just hanging for no reason. The red LED light that indicates activity on the case is off.

Any idea what could be causing this? I'm running Windows 10 and, as I say, this has been going on for years, so it's kept up over many many updates.

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
Possibilities:

1. Hard drive might be dying.
2. PC might try to boot from USB drive, if there is any.
3. HDD is too slow (if that WD 640GB is the system disk) and Windows Update takes a lot of time to update tons of small files when you reboot. Time to replace it with SSD. Or get a new mini pc for less than $200.

Check Event Viewer.

Also post a picture of Disk Management to imgur.com
https://www.lifewire.com/disk-management-2625863

Last edited:
This has been going on for years and I've never addressed it, because I rarely restart the computer, but recently it started becoming a problem.

If I shut my computer down and then turn it on, everything happens normally, but if I restart the computer or if I do an update and then shut it down, it will hang on the loading screen for like 30 minutes before eventually booting into windows. By the loading screen I mean the black screen with the blue windows logo in the middle and the little loading circle spinning underneath it.

Sometimes when it's stuck at this screen I'll hear the HDD working and working and working really hard, while at other times, there's absolutely no sound from the HDD, as if it's just hanging for no reason. The red LED light that indicates activity on the case is off.

Any idea what could be causing this? I'm running Windows 10 and, as I say, this has been going on for years, so it's kept up over many many updates.
Post a screenshot from crystal disk info.