Question Windows 10 Issues

obi1kenobi

Great
Jan 13, 2019
Hi all

Please can somone assist me.I have A problem with my laptop,no program will open and i cant even go to settings,When i click on the bottom left nothing happens.Ive tried everything.I cant even get into Safe Mode because nothing works.Any Recommendations? i have an HP i3 Windows 10

D

Deleted member 14196

make a windows installer usb with the microsoft windows media creation tool and repair windows. you may have to format and reinstall.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Can you get to the login screen?
if so, open the power menu in bottom right of screen
with menu open, hold left shift and click the restart choice
this loads you into windows recovery on startup
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up options
click the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
Pc will restart and load safe mode

is it still not working here? settings won't work in safe mode but programs should.

You might need to do a reset but wait and see if safe mode works first. You should copy anything off laptop you want to keep while in safe mode.

obi1kenobi

Great
Jan 13, 2019
Can you get to the login screen?
if so, open the power menu in bottom right of screen
with menu open, hold left shift and click the restart choice
this loads you into windows recovery on startup
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up options
click the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
Pc will restart and load safe mode

is it still not working here? settings won't work in safe mode but programs should.

You might need to do a reset but wait and see if safe mode works first. You should copy anything off laptop you want to keep while in safe mode.
i just tried that and the screen has gone black.i can get into the login screen just open anything besides control panel which isnt helpful.Windows usb doesnt work ive tried that and i cant get into safemode

Colif

Win 11 Master
hmm, sure looks like somethings wrong there...

Do you have a win 10 installer? On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB, if you don't.

We can't get to safe mode using USB which sucks but should be able to save files.

change boot order so USB is first, boot drive second
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
type notepad and press enter
in notepad, select file>open
Use file explorer to copy any files you need to save to USB or hdd

If that works and you can copy info off, perhaps the idea of a clean install is best. Was laptop fine before this? no hardware problems?

boot from installer
follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

obi1kenobi

Great
Jan 13, 2019
Yes i have a Windows Installer i always keep one but it doesnt help because i cant get to that menu to reset my laptop or reinstall windows,so im pretty much screwed.If i Click restart must i hold Shift+F8?

D

Deleted member 14196

i don't even know what kind of laptop you have.... how can we know what to do unless you list the exact Make/Model of your laptop? That information, your entire PC specs should be in the very first post.

Colif

Win 11 Master
With HP computers you can boot a device one and you do not need to change the boot order permanently. You can use a special HP Startup Menu for this.

1. Please, shutdown the computer using the power button (press and hold for few seconds until it powers off)

2. Insert the bootable Windows flash drive

3. Power the PC back on.

3.1 As soon as you press the power-on button, immediately begin hitting the Esc button (like tap-tap-tap) - like press and begin hitting before any logo appears.

This should open a HP Startup Menu with several options such as F1, F2, F9, F10, F11, F12, etc...

4. Choose F9 to open Boot Device options > https://support.hp.com/rs-en/document/c01443326

5. If the BIOS can see the USB device attached to the PC, it will appear there (usually written as USB HDD or with the USB brand name)

Select it and PC should boot fine.
https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Noteb...equence-and-How-to-Boot-from-USB/td-p/6132655

i would have suggested all that yesterday but it was late and I had to go.

If you can boot off USB you can do the things I suggested in last post. If problem is only windows it should fix it.

Last edited:

obi1kenobi

Great
Jan 13, 2019
https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Noteb...equence-and-How-to-Boot-from-USB/td-p/6132655

i would have suggested all that yesterday but it was late and I had to go.

If you can boot off USB you can do the things I suggested in last post. If problem is only windows it should fix it.
thank you for the help ive managed to get to the screen now where it shows the windows logo and has 2 options:
1.Install
2.repair

I tried repair but doesnt work.Should i reinstall windows?Im not sure regarding backup?i have all my business programs on,microsoft word and antivirus and they have there product keys.if i copy and paste the User or the local disk to an external harddrive and copy it back will everything be back how it was?Because ive tried the Backup in Control Panel where you create a backup with a system image ive done it twice and says failed so i have no idea what to do

Colif

Win 11 Master
strange repair doesn't work as it should be running off the USB and all the files it needs are there.

You can't just copy the user folder and put it back into new install, but you could copy all the library folders like Documents, pictures, music, movies... the folders built into windows. But not the entire user folder. You should be able to re use them on new install.

copy those folders across and reinstall, doing a custom install as suggested here: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/