[SOLVED] Windows 10 lagging after closing out games

lordtristan28

Reputable
Feb 4, 2018
Recently a problem has come up with my windows 10 gaming computer. It was built by me, last year. I've had no issues but now I'm facing an issue that for some reason I cannot seem to fix.

PC Specs:
Msi MPG x570s MB (bios version: 7D52v14)
32gb of trident z neo
Ryzen 7 5800x
Rx 590
850w Corsair Rm850x
2 pcie 4.0 nvme drives, 512gb for windows (Only windows and programs) and a 2tb for games. Both are Kingston Kc3000 drives.

Bought windows 10 home edition when building pc.

Further describing the issue:
Last week I noticed every time I closed out of a game, Cyberpunk 2077, No mans sky, red dead 2, dying light, pretty much any games my desktop gets really laggy, 75hz monitor with freesync, so usually its smooth feeling. Moving windows around causes it to judder, scrolling through the search bar causes lag and sometimes very brief locking up. But see, I thought it was being caused by the games I was playing. But if I leave my computer on for, 5 to 25 minutes it starts doing it.

I have tried many different things, I thought it was a memory leak? But I did a Memtest and nothing came back as bad, no errors. I also did a sfc scan and scanned both my drives for errors, both drives report as 100% heathy with no errors. Windows has no corrupted files either. Everything on start up was disabled, check any programs that started on start, and any programs that started well windows was running. This is were I get confused.

When looking at task manger, resource manager and watching both when the lags start nothing happens. No new programs or services start, no ram, cpu, or even gpu usage spiking. Both windows and games drives are at 0% usage.

I did do many virus scans but nothing came back, according to what I've done, windows is clean, lots of space, resources to use, no corrupt files, no memory leaks, drivers are all up to date including windows updates. I have not plugged any new devices in.

I did reseat memory and the graphics card. No change.

I did check temps, CPU is running very cool, Graphics card is running cool, nvme drives around 35-40c MB chipset running cool. No overheating, no windows errors. No crashes or bsod.

Another thing, is when I'm playing games, either launched before the lag starts, or even during. The game is completely smooth and running as normal. It does not seem to affect any heavy programs or games that are running??

Any idea what I should do? I may just bite the bullet and do a reinstall of windows, but would rather see if its a dumb small thing I am missing.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Solution
Update: Decided to play around with some more drivers, etc. I used DDU and got rid of all amd software and drivers, reinstalled amd chipset drivers, double checked everything over. And now everything is working again. I'm guessing it was a amd driver error of some sort.

Lutfij

Titan
Happy New Year!

850w Corsair gold power supply
Corsair is the brand of the unit, while 850W is the advertised wattage of the unit. Gold is the advertised 80+ efficiency rating. Can you please state the model for the unit? Is this unit a year old?

I thought it was a memory leak?
If it's indeed a memory leak, then you're only way around it is an OS reinstall, after recreating your bootable USB installer using Windows Media Creation Tools.

Msi MPG x570s
What BIOS version are you on at this moment of time?

lordtristan28

Reputable
Feb 4, 2018
Happy New Year!

850w Corsair gold power supply
Corsair is the brand of the unit, while 850W is the advertised wattage of the unit. Gold is the advertised 80+ efficiency rating. Can you please state the model for the unit? Is this unit a year old?

I thought it was a memory leak?
If it's indeed a memory leak, then you're only way around it is an OS reinstall, after recreating your bootable USB installer using Windows Media Creation Tools.

Msi MPG x570s
What BIOS version are you on at this moment of time?

Happy new year!

Apologies for not putting the model number. It's a rm850x power supply. Power supply was bought last year with the rest of the components.

Bios is the latest: 7D52v14

lordtristan28

Reputable
Feb 4, 2018
Update: Decided to play around with some more drivers, etc. I used DDU and got rid of all amd software and drivers, reinstalled amd chipset drivers, double checked everything over. And now everything is working again. I'm guessing it was a amd driver error of some sort.

Solution