Question Windows 10 not recognizing any audio besides hdmi after installing new gpu (please read, I have tried everything for 2 days now)

Apr 30, 2024
So I recently upgraded from a gtx 1660s to an rtx 3060. No issues at all at first, everything seemed to go as smoothly as possible.

I go to start a game to test the new card after installing the newest drivers, and notice there is no sound. "Okay, obviously I need to change my default output device. Gpus love setting themselves as the default."

No. Not only was this not the issue, no devices show at all aside from hdmi in sound settings. No mics, no other speakers. Even the built in output on my motherboard is gone.

What's interesting is that in the playback tab it lists the proper number of devices, only that all of them show as disconnected hdmi devices. So here's what hasn't worked:

I made sure onboard audio was set to on in bios.
I uninstalled every audio device in devmgmt and restarted.
I removed my gpu drivers in ddu, removed every audio device in devmgmt, restarted, installed both realtek drivers and installed the gpu drivers but not the audio drivers, then restarted. I have tried installing these drivers both realtek first and gpu first.
I have tried various older realtek drivers known for their stability with my specific card.
I have loaded from restore points prior to installing the new card.
I have reseated the connection to my motherboard's audio pins.
I tried getting help from nvidia support, which was a waste of time because after explaining "I have thoroughly gone down this checklist of obvious fixes, the devices are just not listed anywhere" I was ghosted by the support tech.

I'm losing my mind here. I've noticed that even the built-in windows audio drivers are all missing and I can't figure out how to remedy that.
I've also noticed that no matter which realtek installer I use, including (obviously) the one recommended for my specific card, nothing is actually installed. I run the installer, it seems to complete with no errors, restart, nothing is actually installed and my issue remains.

I know this is a long post, I just wanted to be thorough. I really hope somebody out there has seen a similar issue and knows how to fix this inability to install any audio drivers.

Edit: windows 10, mobo is an msi mag x570s tomahawk max wifi, cpu is an amd ryzen 2700x, gpu is as above an rtx 3060. Not a prebuilt, everything was purchased separately and installed by myself.
Thanks in advance, I will provide any other needed info.

edit2: View: https://imgur.com/a/aezJn7B

playback tab showing all other audio outputs (and my mic 3.5mm jack for some reason) as disconnected hdmi outputs.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2024
sounds like a corrupt OS installation.
how it happened just swapping hardware, who knows?
try running "sfc /scannow" through command prompt.

include your complete system specs.
not just board, CPU, GPU.
I'll update the specs shortly, my pc is currently in the process of another attempted system restore so I only have access to what I know offhand. I will run sfc as soon as the restore completes, thank you.

Apr 30, 2024
Please show screenshots from
Device Manager - Sound, video, game controllers section expanded and
Settings/System/Sound
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

Where are your speakers connected?
View: https://imgur.com/a/e96zpwj

I've tried both the front jacks (mic and audio both are dead) and the mobo jack that's on the back of the case. This is driving me crazy. I've been doing almost nothing since yesterday morning but try to troubleshoot this and at best I find somebody with the same issue and the threads dead end with no solution. All I did was upgrade my GPU, this shouldn't be so difficult. If I could just get realtek to install, actually install, this would all go away. Really the issue is that no matter what installer I try, it's the same "it installed but not really" outcome.

sfc /scannow detected zero issues by the way. I'm here scratching my head.

Apr 30, 2024

Blackink

Distinguished
I had a problem once when I installed 2 new monitors onto my desktop PC and lost the sound. I thought I had broken the input cable to my Bose speakers. I had nothing. I tried the front audio jack, I tried re-installing the Realtek drivers, I unplugged and plugged back in the audio cord on the back of my PC.....Nothing was working.

I then went into Settings >System > and selected Sound from the column on the left and noticed my new Dell monitors, which had NO speakers, were selected! Go figure?!?
I clicked on the drop down menu and selected Speakers (Realtek High Definition) and all was good.

Apr 30, 2024
I had a problem once when I installed 2 new monitors onto my desktop PC and lost the sound. I thought I had broken the input cable to my Bose speakers. I had nothing. I tried the front audio jack, I tried re-installing the Realtek drivers, I unplugged and plugged back in the audio cord on the back of my PC.....Nothing was working.

I then went into Settings >System > and selected Sound from the column on the left and noticed my new Dell monitors, which had NO speakers, were selected! Go figure?!?
I clicked on the drop down menu and selected Speakers (Realtek High Definition) and all was good.
The problem I have is, nothing besides my monitor (because of the hdmi connection) is showing. The only place other outputs show is in the playback tab, and even then the others all show as disconnected hdmi outputs.

Apr 30, 2024
Install chipset drivers and then audio drivers from motherboard support site.
Unknown devices with yellow exclamation marks should disappear in Device Manager.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MAG-X570S-TOMAHAWK-MAX-WIFI/support#driver
I already installed everything on their driver page. The devices don't even appear in device manager. I'm going to try a restore from an ISO tomorrow since all of my usb drives are in use and one is shipping.

Right now I have a bandaid fix. For whatever reason, a usb soundcard is currently working. It's inconvenient and the audio quality is terrible but for now I have sound.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Try this. Access your BIOS and disable the on-board audio device. Save and restart your system.

Once fully up and running, tell Windows to restart and then pop into the BIOS to enable the sound device.

Windows may see as a "new" device and reload the drivers to allow use.

Reactions: thestryker