Windows 10 .old Preventing boot?

MrMcFeely

Commendable
Oct 11, 2016
I posted another thread over in the Storage part of the forum when I thought this issue might be with my SSD. Looks like after some diagnosis, the problem is with my Windows installation.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3210557/ssd-longer-boots-windows.html#18722109

Right now, my SSD that contain Windows won't boot. It goes to a black screen with a blinking white cursor. I've gotten into the command prompts via a recovery disc and determined that Windows is still installed on the SSD and all my files are intact. However, a Windows.old folder is also on there that shouldn't be, as this PC started at Windows 8.1 and was upgraded to 10. There shouldn't be a Windows.old folder.

However, I recently had to the replace the CPU fan as a rubber gasket was damaged when I moved my PC to a new apartment. During the diagnosing of that, my PC would cycle on and off rapidly as the motherboard triggered the system to shut off when my fan wasn't working. Would it have been possible that Windows, on so many failed attempts, tried to repair itself and was interrupted?

I've tried running startup repair from the boot disc but that does nothing.

I'm out of ideas. It would be a pain to lose all my files, but liveable. I'd prefer not to though.

MrMcFeely

Commendable
Oct 11, 2016
When I attempt that I get the following message:

"The computer started using the Windows installation media. Remove the installation media and restart your computer so that Windows starts normally. Then, insert the installation media and restart the upgrade. (Do not select |Custom [advanced]| to perform an upgrade. |Custom [advanced]| installs a new copy of Windows and deletes your programs and settings.)"

That's not possible since the computer CAN'T boot normally. It's acting like it's already in the middle of a Windows 10 upgrade/repair and it won't complete it.

MrMcFeely

Commendable
Oct 11, 2016
Okay, so assuming it's leftover from the upgrade from Windows 8.1, how can I somehow repair the boot process without losing files or is that just impossible at this point? Right now the above error message is telling me to do something that I can't do. Startup repair doesn't work, it can't boot enough of the windows installation that bootrec scanos says is there to restore from any restore points or roll back to a previous version.