KnightsCross

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2015
I am trying to reinstall windows on a new m.2 drive that I have and I cannot locate my product key. I bought a physical copy from best buy and it is on a flash drive, but I lost the box and am trying to locate the key. I seem to remember years back being able to look in my computer "properties" and the product key being listed but that was during the days of windows XP. It can't be found there now. Does anyone out there know of where or how I can find my windows product key?

USAFRet

Titan
I am trying to reinstall windows on a new m.2 drive that I have and I cannot locate my product key. I bought a physical copy from best buy and it is on a flash drive, but I lost the box and am trying to locate the key. I seem to remember years back being able to look in my computer "properties" and the product key being listed but that was during the days of windows XP. It can't be found there now. Does anyone out there know of where or how I can find my windows product key?
Is it still operating in the original drive and OS?

Belarc Advisor can retrieve that license.

However, assuming this system was fully activated before, it will activate itself with a fresh OS install.
You don't need to input the license key.

USAFRet

Titan
I recently installed the new m2 and a new motherboard... the windows was aftermarket, did not come installed on the SSD.
Oh, a new motherboard.
I meant that a fresh install, on the same motherboard, would simply activate itself.

Now that you've changed the motherboard and done a fresh OS install....

Did you log into your MS account and see if it is linked to your account?