Question Windows 10 PC system hang under certain loads. No BSOD.

leeedle

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2013
PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/hLfVLP

CPU: Intel Core i5-8600K 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5 (rev. 1.0) ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 Memory
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 250 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive)
Storage: Western Digital Black 6 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB XC ULTRA GAMING Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit
Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Chroma RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless Headset

For the past couple of weeks I have been having this issue where my system would hang and I would have to reset my computer to stop the issue. Whenever certain loads are put on my computer, it would start to lag a few seconds before my game/screen freezes and system stops responding, hanging without a blue screen. This usually happens while I am gaming.

I have tried the following in attempt to fix this issue:
  • Updated to the latest BIOS and Windows update at 20H2.
  • Ran Windows Memory Diagnostic.
  • Searched for any .dmp files. Could not find any.
  • Reinstalled and rolled-back my video drivers to before the issue arose.
  • Reinstalling Windows.
  • Reinserting GPU and swapping RAM.
  • Checked reliability monitor and event viewer with no leads, however, I do notice that ASUS Com service stops working around the same time the hang occurs.
  • Checked storage SMART using CrystalDiskInfo.
  • Running sfc /scannow using command prompt.
  • My temperatures are way below critical when this occurs.
There are a few things I notice when it happens. Firstly, it seems to occur when there is a higher load on the system than usual when gaming. So it would run smoothly normally in game or in a match, but occurs when loading before the round, say like in Rainbow Six Siege. But games like Risk of Rain 2, it could happen any time. Secondly, leaving the task manager open shows me that before it occurs, the 'system' process would spike up in CPU usage, up to more than 30%.

Some recent hardware changes include a HDD upgrade, but long before this occurred, and upgrading my headset from the Arctis 7 to Arctis Pro Wireless. But I'm sure it occurred before that as well.

Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
In order to roll your drivers back or forth, did you use DDU? Did you install the drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator?

Which slots are the rams occupying? You might want to source a donor PSU that has at least 750W of power at the system's disposal from a neighbor or friend and see if the issue crops up. Speaking of PSU's, how old is the unit?

leeedle

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2013
In order to roll your drivers back or forth, did you use DDU? Did you install the drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator?

Which slots are the rams occupying? You might want to source a donor PSU that has at least 750W of power at the system's disposal from a neighbor or friend and see if the issue crops up. Speaking of PSU's, how old is the unit?

I did not uninstall my drivers before-hand using DDU. Instead, I looked for the driver build release when my computer did not have the issue and installed it thinking it would uninstall the drivers for me. I will do this right now and follow up if it happens to fix my issue.

As for my ram, it is occupying dimm slots labeled 1 and 2, the two alternating ones furthest from the CPU. As for the power supply, I bought it at the same time as most of my build, around 2+ years ago during August 2018. Outsourcing a PSU might be difficult for me, but I'll see what I can do.

Again, I will follow up soon if it happens to fix or still freezes.

leeedle

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2013

Following up after uninstalling my display drivers using DDU and reinstalling with a previous version. Unfortunately, this did not fix it. When I was playing R6, I ended up freezing on a loading screen again. Do you have any other ideas as to why this is happening?