Windows 10 refuses to install on sata 3 with ssd

Mar 31, 2018
Recently I bought new ssd for my system. And as usually problems...
I cannot install win 10 on my ssd while trying on sata 3 port. So as usually I downloaded latest win 10 iso with media creation tool from MS site, also I used latest rufus version to get it on my flash drive (I used both KingstonDataTravaler 3.0 16gb and older Kingston 8gb flash drive). Firstly I left everything on default in rufus which is "MBR partition scheme for BIOS or UEFI", installation loaded normally, but once I wanted to create partitions, installation showed me this error:

http://lh6.ggpht.com/-P1hewxW3YKo/UbI5r-RMYxI/AAAAAAAAJMA/Nlq6zlyVe8k/s1600-h/image%25255B6%25255D.png

I tinkered with it for few hrs tried all different solutions that were on google, changing flash drive, chaning usb port, chaning from IDE to AHCI or other way, .. etc And nothing would allow me to install windows on this ssd.Which is by the way brand new. Only solution at that time was to put ssd on sata 2 port, installation went smoothly with no problems. Once I installed windows I tried putting it back in sata 3 port but there was no boot, no error or anything.

Then I tried to use "GTP partition scheme for UEFI" in rufus. And I was able to create partitions and enter setup. But setup was stuck firstly at second step : "Getting files ready for installation " I tinekred abit with second flash and some bios options which I don't really remember what did I changed. And I was stuck again but at fourth step : "Installing updates", I tried uplugging ethernet cable from PC, and I was again stuck at second step at 100%.

And now I am here, stuck... I will provide as much information as possible.

My system :
CPU : Intel i5-3470
MBU : GA-P61A-D3 (rev. 2.0) https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-P61A-D3-rev-20#ov
RAM : 2 x 4GB one stick of Patriot 1866mhz ddr3 and other is SiliconPower 1600mhz (never had
problems with them they pair well )
GPU : HD 6870 1GB
PSU : LC power 600W
SSD : Patriot Burst 240GB (https://www.info.patriotmemory.com/burst-ssd)

I also have two more mehanicals hard drives but I disconnected them in order to solve this problem.

Sata cable is brend new. Both sata 3 port previously worked with mehanicals drives, BIOS sees the ssd on both sata 3 ports and sata 2. My bios is latest verison excluding version F12b which is latest but beta version (Beta BIOS, Improve High-End Display card compatibility). All my hardware is working fine and I had dual boot for linux and win 10 on separate mehanical drivers which were disconnected while I was trying everything I mentioned. I used USB ports that are on motherboard.

Here are some photos of my bios settings which are optimized defaults:
https://prnt.sc/izwfqw
https://prnt.sc/izwg27
https://prnt.sc/izwg9k

I tried chaning some options in bios ("Boot mode Selection" , "Storage Boot Option Controll" , "Other PCI Device ROM priority" ). But had no luck. Also from optimized defaults I changed "Sata Mode Selection" from IDE to AHCI.

At this point I am thinking about: flashing new bios, using different iso of win 10 some older build. Also sata 3 ports are labeled as 4 and 5 that might be problem? Sata 2 are 0,1,2,3. So should I try to install windows first on mehanical drive from sata 2 0 and then try to get windows on ssd on sata 3.

I tried installing Win 10 pro and Win 10 Pro N. 64 bit versions.

Any ideas ?

Solution
The SATA-3 ports are controlled by a Marvell controller, so you are on the right track installing Windows when plugged into a SATA-2 port.
From there, once Windows is running, install the drivers for the Marvell SATA-3 controller before trying to swap the SATA cable to the SATA-3 port.
I don't think that Windows recognises that controller on install which is why it fails.
The SATA-3 ports are controlled by a Marvell controller, so you are on the right track installing Windows when plugged into a SATA-2 port.
From there, once Windows is running, install the drivers for the Marvell SATA-3 controller before trying to swap the SATA cable to the SATA-3 port.
I don't think that Windows recognises that controller on install which is why it fails.

Solution
Mar 31, 2018
Petrossa your suggestion makes perfect sense. I downloaded marvell sata controller from motherboard support page unziped it and installed it via setup. I checked and driver was there under sata controller or storage in manage devices. Maybe I made mistake because I didn't restart PC but installation didn't asked for. Next thing I did was turn off pc and changed port to sata 3, win started loading but it gave BSOD with some stopcode that critical process stopped. And I am stuck there right now both on sata 3 and sata 2, safe mode doesnt work nor the recovery. Now I reinstalled windows again. Should I try same driver but restart pc first then shut it down and change port. Or download this driver from another source ?

Mar 31, 2018
Do you maybe have any more info on this marvell sata controller since speeds are almost same as on sata 2 and drive is capbe to exceds these speeds? Also windows is starting to crash with stop code my best assumpstion is that driver is crashing also performance is kinda slugish it frezzes somtimes ?

My research suggested that a lot of those controllers were no faster than SATA-2 - so in essence quite useless.
My setup is similar in that I also have an extra controller for my SATA-3, but my SSD is an old one and quite slow anyway.
The issue you are describing there does seem to suggest a buggy driver - if it continues and you don't need the extra ports, try disabling the controller in the BIOS.

Mar 31, 2018
Yeah I found alot of tests and it seems this marvell controller is actually bad. I decided to stick to sata 2. I don't need extra ports since I have 4 sata 2 ports. Sata 3 is very rare on LGA1155 atlest on cheap to mid range motherboards, had no idea that there were a separate controller for those sata 3 ports back in time. Thanks for sharing your knowledge on this subject. Everyday you learn something new.