Question Windows 10 refuses to shutdown, and refuses to Hibernate

robertkjr3d

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2013
I'm sick of this problem that comes up from time to time. Every once in a while this issue has come up, and the solution seems to always be something slightly different. This time the thing that was the solution last time, is not working. I blame those pesky Windows-Updates.

Version: 22H2
Build: 19045.4780

What have I tried, oh just about every thing that the internet has recommended on the subject.
sfc /scannow reported:

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them.
For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at
windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline
repairs, details are included in the log file provided by the /OFFLOGFILE flag.

Powercfg /waketimers : Now it says none after some changes: Previously it was reporting 'Startmenuexperiencehost'. Still see...
Powercfg /lastwake:
Wake History Count - 1
Wake History [0]
Wake Source Count - 0
... Of course no data about what that is.

powercfg /devicequery wake_armed
NONE

If you think the powercfg /sleepstudy would be helpful I can post that. I didn't see anything of value in it.
The next thing I looked for was 'Virus-type' processes, that was keeping the system awake. I did run a scan.

Oh, of course I changed the Power and Sleep settings so that 'Wake Timers' are supposed to be 'Disabled'.

It's been about two weeks, and it does fall-asleep at night, but I just been shutting the monitors off.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Some Windows updates require mutiple restarts.

Windows may also be trying to finish up some update that was not sucessful or perhaps was interupted,

What related errors, warnings, or informational events (if any) are being captured by Reliability History/Monitor and Event Viewer?

robertkjr3d

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2013
Some Windows updates require mutiple restarts.

Windows may also be trying to finish up some update that was not sucessful or perhaps was interupted,

What related errors, warnings, or informational events (if any) are being captured by Reliability History/Monitor and Event Viewer?
In the 'Windows-Update' Screen it says "You're Up to date". As you can imagine I've done a lot of reboots trying to fix this issue.

I have not scanned my Event-Viewer, I had forgotten about that one. I don't see anything that jumps out at me. However, I do see records of apps that are starting and shutting down that I don't need. I'll try disabling a couple in services.

Edit:
Disabling some unused services has not helped. This is what shows in the 'System-Log' this unhelpful entry:

The system has returned from a low power state.

Sleep Time: ‎2024‎-‎08‎-‎17T02:52:32.320250400Z
Wake Time: ‎2024‎-‎08‎-‎17T02:53:35.535465200Z

Wake Source: Unknown

2nd Edit:
Ok, one solution, that seems to match my problem, that I can't perform right now is a CMOS battery reset or to remove it or replace it.
This is because my symptoms also suggest it could be that problem.
I also show in the Event Log: "The firmware reported boot metrics"
"The system time has changed to....
Change Reason: System time synchronized with the hardware clock..."
"The bootmgr spent 0 ms waiting for user input."

Last edited:

ubuysa

Distinguished
One common cause is a third-party service that fails to close properly at shutdown time. Try the command shutdown /s /f /t 000 and see whether it shuts down properly.

Note: The /s switch says 'shutdown', the /f switch forces all open apps to close, /t 000 says 'now'.

robertkjr3d

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2013
One common cause is a third-party service that fails to close properly at shutdown time. Try the command shutdown /s /f /t 000 and see whether it shuts down properly.

Note: The /s switch says 'shutdown', the /f switch forces all open apps to close, /t 000 says 'now'.
Oh, I didn't mention that I already done that one, as one of the 'Internet' items that people give me to try.
UPDATE... UPDATE....Changing the CMOS battery did work.
That was what worked. As stated on another forum, I noticed that my symptoms seemed to match what another user noticed was his issues before having the issue.