[SOLVED] Windows 10 Resolution Problem

hiro928

Honorable
Apr 7, 2017
Here is something weird that has been a thing for awhile and just became somewhat curious about, so i have a 50" 1080p TV that i use as a Monitor, but in the Display Settings Windows recommends 720p for the Resolution instead of 1080p, i can select 1080p no problems, but i wonder why it recommends 720p? anyone else run into this problem?

Solution
What about if you still go for the 1080p? Does it look ok?
Its a TV, check the settings, sometimes TV's dont have the proper interface installed for this case and/or the firmware is not uptodate for this to recognize things properly, therefore signal to the card that it has only 720p, making your OS think its recommended, because its based on that information the TV sends (roughly said).
50" 1080p will have a pretty stretched pic tho, the distance between each pixel is greater (lower PPI(pixel per inch)) , so youll see black lines if you go to close, keep this in mind. TV's arent really meant for plugging with a PC most of the time.
But if its working, ignore the recommendations?
Those are pretty complicated things in detail, so dont...
May 20, 2019
Its a TV, check the settings, sometimes TV's dont have the proper interface installed for this case and/or the firmware is not uptodate for this to recognize things properly, therefore signal to the card that it has only 720p, making your OS think its recommended, because its based on that information the TV sends (roughly said).
50" 1080p will have a pretty stretched pic tho, the distance between each pixel is greater (lower PPI(pixel per inch)) , so youll see black lines if you go to close, keep this in mind. TV's arent really meant for plugging with a PC most of the time.
Those are pretty complicated things in detail, so dont think much of it, just know that not all TV's are 100% supported by OS/GPU companies, especially the 1080p on that high inch screens..

Solution
Go to the Control Panel> Devices and Printers and your monitor should be in the installed devices section across the top. See if it properly identifies your TV/flat screen. As said above, is very possible your flat screen is not sending a recognizable signal to your computer, telling it what resolution it supports.

hiro928

Honorable
Apr 7, 2017
Go to the Control Panel> Devices and Printers and your monitor should be in the installed devices section across the top. See if it properly identifies your TV/flat screen. As said above, is very possible your flat screen is not sending a recognizable signal to your computer, telling it what resolution it supports.
in devices and printers it sees my TV as the proper model and everything for the Audio input, but as for Moniter it sees it as "Generic PnP Monitor"

hiro928

Honorable
Apr 7, 2017
Those are pretty complicated things in detail, so dont think much of it, just know that not all TV's are 100% supported by OS/GPU companies, especially the 1080p on that high inch screens..
yeah the picture looks just fine, nothing is stopping me from choosing 1080p and moving forward i was just curious as to why it would recommend a lower resolution, i checked the device settings and it sees my TV properly for Audio Input, but as for Monitor it says "Generic PnP Monitor"

There is no problem with the generic PnP Driver. If you go to Devices and Printers you will likely see your monitor has been identified, it's just Windows has decided the PnP driver is the best driver for your monitor, absent of of any specific driver from the manufacturer. BTW what is the make and model of your TV.

hiro928

Honorable
Apr 7, 2017
There is no problem with the generic PnP Driver. If you go to Devices and Printers you will likely see your monitor has been identified, it's just Windows has decided the PnP driver is the best driver for your monitor, absent of of any specific driver from the manufacturer. BTW what is the make and model of your TV.
it's a massivly offbrand TV i got it about 5 years ago off of Newegg, it's called Changhong, here it is
https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16889623018