Nov 10, 2018
Hello, before I start, here’s my hardware info:
Asrock X570 Phantom Gaming 4
Ryzen 5 3600
G.Skill Sniper X 8GB (single stick)
RTX 2060 Super
rm550
860 Evo 1TB

I’m currently having an issue where Windows 10 would take literally 4 hours to boot, as shown here
View: https://youtu.be/x8HBZc_-nOs

I’ve tried repair-install, memtest86, chkdsk, dism, sfc, installing chipset/motherboard drivers, downclocking CPU/memory, resetting and updating BIOS, and I’m pretty much concluding this to be a software issue.

I'm a producer, and reinstalling Windows would mean that I’d have to reinstall and reauthenticate hundreds of audio plugins.
I'm willing to provide event viewer information, dumps, and anything helpful to debug this issue.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

mark520fay35

Reputable
Nov 10, 2018
That is the only drive in the system?
Please post a screencap of the Disk Management window.
xhK1wyq.jpg

USAFRet

Titan
This could easily be due to one of the other drives failing and acting up.

Disconnect ALL drives except the C (Disk 0).
Boot up.
How long does it take?

If it boots up fine, then repeat that process, connecting the other drives one at a time.

mark520fay35

Reputable
Nov 10, 2018
This could easily be due to one of the other drives failing and acting up.

Disconnect ALL drives except the C (Disk 0).
Boot up.
How long does it take?

If it boots up fine, then repeat that process, connecting the other drives one at a time.
Thanks for the info.
Although CrystalDiskInfo and S.M.A.R.T haven't reported any errors,I’ll reboot with the drives disconnected.
It’ll likely take hours, which means it’s hard for me to get any other info in the meantime.

It’s worth mentioning that booting in Safe-mode (with all drives connected) works just fine.
I made a backup in Macrium Reflect and uninstalled all the software I had, and this issues is still present.
so it could be windows-related, and repair-install couldn’t fix the problem.

mark520fay35

Reputable
Nov 10, 2018
If it takes forever to boot with ALL other drives disconnected, then your current drive and/or its software is the culprit.
Knowing that the drive boots fine in safe mode, and I’ve ruled out firmware/driver Issues relating to the SSD, I’m aware this is some type of software problem in Windows 10.

That's the reason I’m seeking help here... to solve a software issue by providing all information best to my ability.

mark520fay35

Reputable
Nov 10, 2018
Other physical drives failing cannot be ruled out until you actually test it.
I've tried booting with and without other drives in safe-mode. they work, in safe mode, and they work, without safe mode.
I've tested and scanned all drives with chkdsk (twice, in and our of safe-mode), I can be almost certain that they aren't the problem.

USAFRet

Titan
"almost certain".

That is what I am trying to do....BE certain.
No safe mode...just a regular boot up with ONLY the C drive connected.
If it takes more than 5 minutes or so...then the issue lies with 850 EVO. Otherwise, moe investigation is needed.

And chkdsk does not reveal software issues.

mark520fay35

Reputable
Nov 10, 2018
"almost certain".

That is what I am trying to do....BE certain.
No safe mode...just a regular boot up with ONLY the C drive connected.
If it takes more than 5 minutes or so...then the issue lies with 850 EVO. Otherwise, moe investigation is needed.

And chkdsk does not reveal software issues.
I'm not saying that chkdsk reveal software issues, I'm saying that it's not going to be a hardware issue.
But as I previously mentioned, I've updated the firmware and drivers for the SSD, which does not cause a problem.
Since you insisted, I'll clone the SSD to another disk, and boot it up in the same setting.

mark520fay35

Reputable
Nov 10, 2018
No, I was attempting to determine if the drive OR the software on it was, to the exclusion of all the other physical drives and their software.

Since you seem to have a good handle on fixing this, I'll leave you to it.
I'm looking for professionals that can dig into Windows logs, not give repetitive suggestions that don't solve the problem.
It may be proven effective, but when problems are ruled out, leaving a bit of trust would be helpful.
Yes, it would be appreciated if you leave this topic.

When in safe mode, start Task manager and click on the Startup tab. Disable 2 or 3 of the things in that list and reboot to see what happens. Repeat this procedure until you find the culprit. It has to be something in that list that's causing the problem.

mark520fay35

Reputable
Nov 10, 2018
When in safe mode, start Task manager and click on the Startup tab. Disable 2 or 3 of the things in that list and reboot to see what happens. Repeat this procedure until you find the culprit. It has to be something in that list that's causing the problem.
Doing a clean boot with and without Microsoft services does not seem to solve the problem, but thanks for the suggestion.