[SOLVED] Windows 10 Tracert

Nov 28, 2021
Hey guys, I am sure you may get this a lot. As of lately, I have been having some ping spikes while playing video games. These are completely random and they aren't terrible, but like all online games, it can be incredibly annoying. I have AT&T fiber with 1000mb speeds.

Whenever I am playing games like LoL, Halo Infinite, Battlefield, I get ping spikes of around 250-300ms. They last about 2-3 seconds every 5-10min. I saw a thread on here that had someone do 3 ping tests. One to your own router. Two to your ISP. Three to a website such as Google.com. I guess I am curious if anyone can tell me their thoughts on where the issue is. I am not using ethernet. Only wireless.

1 (My router):
Packets: Sent = 1000, Received = 987, Lost = 13 (1% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 298ms, Average = 7ms

2. (My ISP):
Packets: Sent = 1000, Received = 982, Lost = 18 (1% loss),
Minimum = 1ms, Maximum = 220ms, Average = 7ms

3. (Google.com)
Packets: Sent = 1000, Received = 992, Lost = 8 (0% loss),
Minimum = 10ms, Maximum = 122ms, Average = 17ms

Based on these results, it looks like the main issue is my router, but also my ISP. My ISP, AT&T, also has provided me with their own router, so maybe I should just bite the bullet and get a big boy router to fix my router issue. Maybe I am wrong here. Can anyone add any insights? Thanks.

Solution
there could be issue with you network cable...packet loss to your own router means that signal integrity is just bad
if you rule out cable, then router migh be failing (it has cpu and ram...it could be overloaded when too many devices connected)
there could be issue with you network cable...packet loss to your own router means that signal integrity is just bad
if you rule out cable, then router migh be failing (it has cpu and ram...it could be overloaded when too many devices connected)

Solution
You need to first test on ethernet before you spend lots of time digging around window settings or replacing routers.

Packet loss and large variations in the latency are extremely common on wifi. This is why they say to never plan online games on wifi.

Wifi packet loss is caused by interfere in most cases. It could be other devices in your house but it could be your neighbor using his wifi. Wifi you have almost no options to fix. You can try the standard change the radio channel on the router or try to use the other radio band 2.4/5. This "fix" seldom works any more because all radio channels are extremely crowded.