Windows 10 Update problem - power

blacka05

Reputable
Dec 9, 2014
Hello All,

I have just done the big Windows 10 update and now have a problem with my PC powering on.

Basically when I shut it down if I go to turn it back on I just get the fans running (with their lights) and nothing else on screen or other lights on the front of my computer (hard drive light included).

The only way to get it started it to switch it off/on at the mains then it powers up fine. I really do not think there is an issue with my PSU as it has been working perfectly well up until I did the update.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Solution
What fast start up does is changes how win 10 shutdown/startups

With it on, the PC when you turn it off will go into a hybred hibernate states. Its not off, its sleeping. Windows saves a copy of your kernel + any running drivers into ram so when you start PC it is meant to be faster

With it off, PC actually is off when you turn it off. Just like normal shutdown used to be.

IF you have a SSD you won't notice a massive boost with it on, its more useful for people with hdd

So drivers that weren't written for win 10 shutdown approach have issues with it. Turning fast startup off fixes it for them, but its more a work around, not an actual solution.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Big windows 10 update? Do you mean it took about 45 minutes and restarted PC a few times?

try turning off fast startup, it might fix the starting problem - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html

its not a real fix, it could just be there are drivers on your PC that don't like the newer power schemes in win 10.

what motherboard do you have? (if its a brand name PC, what make/model is it?) - Probably help to check you have latest drivers/bios

blacka05

Reputable
Dec 9, 2014

Sorry by big I just meant it took a bit longer than a normal update to do.

That's great thanks! It works fine now. Why do you say it's not a real fix? I didn't really notice a difference with start-up times.

I built my own rig with a Asus Z97-P motherboard. So I will check the drivers for it.

Colif

Win 11 Master
What fast start up does is changes how win 10 shutdown/startups

With it on, the PC when you turn it off will go into a hybred hibernate states. Its not off, its sleeping. Windows saves a copy of your kernel + any running drivers into ram so when you start PC it is meant to be faster

With it off, PC actually is off when you turn it off. Just like normal shutdown used to be.

IF you have a SSD you won't notice a massive boost with it on, its more useful for people with hdd

So drivers that weren't written for win 10 shutdown approach have issues with it. Turning fast startup off fixes it for them, but its more a work around, not an actual solution.

Solution