[SOLVED] Windows 10 virtual memory reaches to max size and then system freezes, it doesnt deallocate itself

Sep 13, 2019
Hello,
I am using Windows 10 v1903.
I have issue that I have set virtual memory to automatically manage on C drive(SSD) .
After it reaches the max size i.e.28GB approx ...system starts to freeze....
Windows is able to allocate virtual memory but it is not deallocating it so whatever max size the system starts running out of ram when it reaches max size.

Solutions already tried:
  1. Setting virtual ram to custom size.
  2. Setting virtual ram to automatically manage(max it allocates to 28gb).
3.Disable services like printspooler and sysadmin(superfetch)
4.Windows update, virus scan
1.png

2.png

Solution
well, i was hoping you had killer internet drivers, as that would have been as easy fix.

So if the ram is 16, how much you normally use? Is screenshot normal usage? as thats not much worse than my normal. You can however run out of memory with free ram. The not giving back is commitments. Drivers ask for memory and are meant to give back when finished, the amounts asked are commitments. System only has so many commitments it can promise and once it runs out, it gives an out of memory error.

There is a program called poolmon that you can use to identify which driver is to blame, but tbh I have never worked out how it works.

Hello

Can you please check this tutorial and see if you've configured the correct custom Pagefile size?

In order to get rid of an existing Pagefile, you can start your PC in Safe Mode, turn on Show hidden files, folders, and drives, disable Hide protected operating system files from the Folder Options box, get to C:\ drive, and delete the pagefile.sys file.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!!

Sep 13, 2019
Hello

Can you please check this tutorial and see if you've configured the correct custom Pagefile size?

In order to get rid of an existing Pagefile, you can start your PC in Safe Mode, turn on Show hidden files, folders, and drives, disable Hide protected operating system files from the Folder Options box, get to C:\ drive, and delete the pagefile.sys file.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!!
I have already tried setting custom pagefile size......but the thing is....it allocates the size to its max value and then it freezes the system there is no way of deallocating the pagefile.....and I dont want to delete pagefile everytime its size becomes huge.shouldnt it be automatically managed i.e. allocation and deallocation

Colif

Win 11 Master
What do you run that eats all your ram to point system has to run almost everything off the page file?

If nothing, its possible the memory usage is actually a memory leak caused by a driver that like you said, asks for more and more memory, and doesn't give it back - thats a classic leak

what are specs of the PC? If custom, what motherboard? if Brand name, what make/model?

Sep 13, 2019
What do you run that eats all your ram to point system has to run almost everything off the page file?

If nothing, its possible the memory usage is actually a memory leak caused by a driver that like you said, asks for more and more memory, and doesn't give it back - thats a classic leak

what are specs of the PC? If custom, what motherboard? if Brand name, what make/model?

Hello,
I mostly have work on Chrome(many tabs open 20 atleast) and Franz(Chromium software)...which takes up most of the ram.
My drivers are up to date.

PC Specs-
cpu-ryzen 5 2400g
ram-16gb
motherboard-asus b450 pro

I have also tried reinstalling my windows 10 but the issue is same.

This issue is bothering me for over a month or so.
Any help is appreciated.

Colif

Win 11 Master
well, i was hoping you had killer internet drivers, as that would have been as easy fix.

So if the ram is 16, how much you normally use? Is screenshot normal usage? as thats not much worse than my normal. You can however run out of memory with free ram. The not giving back is commitments. Drivers ask for memory and are meant to give back when finished, the amounts asked are commitments. System only has so many commitments it can promise and once it runs out, it gives an out of memory error.

There is a program called poolmon that you can use to identify which driver is to blame, but tbh I have never worked out how it works.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/devtest/poolmon
non paged pool = ram
paged pool = hdd

it should help identify which driver is to blame

Last edited:
Solution
Sep 13, 2019

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/devtest/poolmon
non paged pool = ram
paged pool = hdd

it should help identify which driver is to blame
Yes the screenshot is my normal usage. I think there is some program which is causing the issue as it is not releasing the paged memory and keeps on adding to it. Is there a way to identify the cause or some software as I am unable to find download link for poolmon.