Julesm2

Reputable
Sep 24, 2019
Hi all,

About 1 year ago, I build a PC with the following components:
Case - Dan case A4-SFX V3
CPU - Ryzen 7 2700x
PSU - Corsair sf600
HDD - M.2 970 pro 500gb NOTE: I used the slot with a dedicated heatsink, although it did still get hot at times.
RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x16 GB ddr4 2400MHz
CPU cooling - Asetek 545lc
CPU fan - (replacing stock fan) NF-A9X14 PWM FAN 92MM
MOBO - ASUS ROG STRIX X470-I
GPU - GTX 1080ti

It has been running perfectly until now, although since moving to portugal temps could be high under heavy load, and on a very hot day (MOBO, SSD, CPU appoaching 90c, but very rarely).
A couple of days ago I left it on overnight, but not running any applications. When I came back to it in the morning, I found 'no signal detected' on the screen.
I restarted it but found that it would not boot windows, it would pass BIOS and then the screen would go black again.

First I tried removing the GPU and using the onboard graphics, but I wasn't even able to view the BIOS screen.
I tried changing BIOS settings, and eventually cleared CMOS.
I then used a windows installation USB to run all automatic repair tools, still nothing.
I then used CMD to run: bootrec /FixMbr, bootrec /FixBoot, bootrec /ScanOs, bootrec /RebuildBcd but had 'access is denied' when trying to rebuild BCD.
I tried many techniques I found in forums to resolve the 'access is denied' error, but nothing working in the end.

Finally I decided to run a clean install or windows 10. I cleared the partitions on the HDD, and created new partitions during the installation.
I managed to install windows, and it would happily reboot with no problems until..... I downloaded the NVIDIA drivers, and started installation.
At some stage during installation I noticed the screen go black, I left it hoping it was just part of the update, but after 10 minutes I decided to force restart.
When I turned it back on, I was faced with the same problem I had to begin with.
Using the windows USB I tried again to rebuild BCD etc, but again it didn't work, I then ran chkdsk commands including chkdsk c: /r /f /v, which ultimately returned the error message 'failed to transfer logged messages to the event log with status 50'. I realise that the error could be because I'm accidentally running it on the installation media (windows USB), but at this stage it is going above my head, and is leading me to think there is something very wrong with the hardware.

One other thing worth mentioning, the plugs here are not grounded. When I touch the case of my pc when plugged in, I get a strange buzzing, static like feeling. This is the same with my friends macbook pro, so it's not just something wrong with my machine.

I've read a huge number or thread's discussing similar problem, and have tried everything I can think of to resolve it.
I've pretty much given up hope on fixing it without changing some of the hardware, but I still don't know what is causing the issue.
I don't have any parts lying around here to swap out so I will have to buy them.

Any suggestions are very much appreciated!
Thanks

Jules

All sorts of problems can result if your wall power is not grounded.

Even though your motherboard may have display outputs, the 2700X does not support integrated graphics; no worry about that.

I might suggest taking all of the parts out of the case and testing that way.

See if you can boot windows in safe mode(f8)
That starts windows with no drivers.
If you can boot, look to a driver issue.

Julesm2

Reputable
Sep 24, 2019
All sorts of problems can result if your wall power is not grounded.

Even though your motherboard may have display outputs, the 2700X does not support integrated graphics; no worry about that.

I might suggest taking all of the parts out of the case and testing that way.

See if you can boot windows in safe mode(f8)
That starts windows with no drivers.
If you can boot, look to a driver issue.

I'll give that a go, thanks!

Julesm2

Reputable
Sep 24, 2019
I've tried running it from a different AC outlet and it seems to be working for now, although I'm not entirely confident that it will stay working.
I really can't understand how a different outlet could cause problems with windows booting, but not with the BIOS but I'll be very happy if it is as simple as that.
I will do some more research into AC affecting windows boot and post if I find anything useful

Julesm2

Reputable
Sep 24, 2019
I also forgot to mention that I was previously using a DVI to connect to my monitor (have been for 1 year), when changing the power oulet, I also swapped to an HDMI.
Again, seems extremely strange that that could suddenly cause an issue