Question Windows 11 freezing while installing AMD graphics driver ?

Lucky_007

Honorable
Nov 29, 2016
Laptop Specs:
CPU: Intel i5-8250U
RAM: 8GB
GPU: AMD Radeon 530
Storage - 2TB HDD

Yesterday my laptop's screen went black and it went on recovery mode after restarting. Then i installed new Windows and while installing GPU drivers (from official website) Windows 11 freezes and I have to force restart ?

Things I have tried:
  • Older version of GPU driver
  • 3rd-party driver installation tool
  • Updated BIOS
  • Virtual memory etc.
please help,

Cyberat_88

Distinguished
Do you also have an Integrated GPU besides the AMD ? Like Intel HD nnnn ?
If yes, I would disable that in Bios, even if only temporarily.
As for AMD drivers, they are very peculiar now, if you attempted a prior install & now you are trying it again,
you must make sure C:\ does not have an AMD folder, delete it.
To completely get rid of all components, you need to get the DDU Uninstall utility (freeware) & run it in safe mode. Then restart.
You can also run the installation as Factory Reset which will put all settings to default.

Lucky_007

Honorable
Nov 29, 2016
Do you also have an Integrated GPU besides the AMD ? Like Intel HD nnnn ?
If yes, I would disable that in Bios, even if only temporarily.
As for AMD drivers, they are very peculiar now, if you attempted a prior install & now you are trying it again,
you must make sure C:\ does not have an AMD folder, delete it.
To completely get rid of all components, you need to get the DDU Uninstall utility (freeware) & run it in safe mode. Then restart.
You can also run the installation as Factory Reset which will put all settings to default.
My BIOS shows 2 option first > UMA ONLY , second >> discrete
I have selected the former one

Wolfshadw

Titan
No sir windows 10 was installed locally by a vendor
my laptop modal is Lenovo IdeaPad 320 (81BT)
Thanks for that! :)

Based on the Lenovo IdeaPad 320 Support Page for 81BT units, there are no Windows 11 graphic drivers. This is likely why you are running into issues. You can TRY to install the Windows 10 drivers from the linked page, but I'm not sure that's going to give you any better results.

My recommendation would be to roll back to Windows 10 until such time as your laptop fully supports Windows 11.

-Wolf sends

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran

Lucky_007

Honorable
Nov 29, 2016
Thanks for that! :)

Based on the Lenovo IdeaPad 320 Support Page for 81BT units, there are no Windows 11 graphic drivers. This is likely why you are running into issues. You can TRY to install the Windows 10 drivers from the linked page, but I'm not sure that's going to give you any better results.

My recommendation would be to roll back to Windows 10 until such time as your laptop fully supports Windows 11.

-Wolf sends
Sir now i am using Windows 10 Pro and still facing issue