[SOLVED] Windows 11 search service won't start, throws error 15 (disk not found).

Minaz

Commendable
Sep 20, 2021
On my Windows 11 computer laptop, when I perform a search or even use apps like OneNote, I get a message telling me that my search service is disabled, and to re-enable it to get faster searches. However, when I try to reenable the search service (by running services.msc in admin mode), I keep getting the error message "Windows could not start the search service on local computer. Error 15: The system cannot find the drive specified."

I've tried updating Windows, running sfc /scannow, rebooting the computer, restarting the service, rebuilding/deleting the index, and using the searching and indexing troubleshooter. None of these seem to work. Rebuilding/deleting doesn't work because the search service won't start, you can see it attempt to start the search service multiple times but never succeeding. What could be going on?

Minaz

Commendable
Sep 20, 2021
did sfc /scannow fix anything when you ran it?

I wonder if a repair install would fix it - https://www.elevenforum.com/t/repair-install-windows-11-with-an-in-place-upgrade.418/
Hi,

It did not. Both SFC and DISM reported no errors at all.

I tend to want to try everything else before the final option (reinstallation). Although I read that this particular in-place installation will keep your settings in place, I have found in my experience that these sorts of things are very "YMMV" and the major headache is figuring out what has been changed and what hasn't. Although I do admit, this sometimes fixes the error.

Colif

Win 11 Master
repair install just replaces windows, its not a clean install. Everything else should be as it is now. You will just need to get the Cumulative updates

I only suggested it as you seemed to have done everything I was going to suggest.

Reactions: Minaz

Minaz

Commendable
Sep 20, 2021
repair install just replaces windows, its not a clean install. Everything else should be as it is now. You will just need to get the Cumulative updates

I only suggested it as you seemed to have done everything I was going to suggest.
Thanks. So I tried doing a replacement installation, and ran into a snag. About halfway through, while its doing and the pre-checks, the installer says that it couldn't determine if I have enough space to finish installation and suggested I restart the installation. I tried that, same result. I have almost 8GB of free space on my HDD, is that enough or is there something else going on? (To save space, I moved the installer off the hard drive on the second attempt.)
Edit: managed to find a workaround. Attempting now, fingers crossed.

Last edited: