Windows 7 Activation Error - Product Key and ID

nakunaru.hikari

Prominent
Jan 5, 2018
Okay, so... here's an odd situation.

So, I have a Fujitsu Lifebook T731, the original that I bought in 2012 was starting to have some issues with hardware and I was sick of living under the reign of terror of Windows 10, so I bought another of the same machine that didn't have a hard drive, moved my hard drive with a restored copy of Windows 7 into the new machine.

Fast forward, I hadn't gotten fully settled into my machine yet and decided to do a clean install sans all of the original Fujitsu BS-- used Windows 7 USB/DVD Tool and their ISO. This was totally fine for a few months and then one day I get a Windows Activation Error and it's all been downhill since there.

I had to do some digging to get the specifics but it's Error 0xC004F063 - Computer Bios is Missing Required License

So, looking at the info I sent to Microsoft, it says my Product ID is one thing (correct for the current hardware). The info within System says my Product ID is something different (it's correct for my old hardware). The issue I'm running into seems to be that though I have all the info I need in terms of Product Keys for both IDs, because they are OEM SLPs the fact that my computer is trying to activate my old Product ID with different hardware that doesn't match, my Product Key, though theoretically correct isn't correct for the hardware of this current machine. (If I understand everything I've read correctly.)

Unfortunately, I have no idea how to get my computer to have the correct Product ID everywhere it needs to be so that I am then able to activate with the correct Product Key.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Solution
I managed to solve this, I ended up using:

C:\Windows\System32> slmgr.vbs -upk

in a command prompt (Administrator) to remove my old key information (unsure why this didn't work the first time... User error most likely ;P ) Once I removed info I was able to use the correct key to activate Windows.

I'm unsure why it required me to remove the key manually rather than update it through the Windows Activation option to do so, but I have my functioning copy of Windows back without annoying hourly reminders so I'm happy.

nakunaru.hikari

Prominent
Jan 5, 2018
I managed to solve this, I ended up using:

C:\Windows\System32> slmgr.vbs -upk

in a command prompt (Administrator) to remove my old key information (unsure why this didn't work the first time... User error most likely ;P ) Once I removed info I was able to use the correct key to activate Windows.

I'm unsure why it required me to remove the key manually rather than update it through the Windows Activation option to do so, but I have my functioning copy of Windows back without annoying hourly reminders so I'm happy.

Solution