Windows 7 and linksys WMP600N

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
G

Hi,

I recently put together my own computer as shown below:

AMD phnom II x4 proccessor
ASUS M4A785TD-M Evo
4Gb Ripjaw DDR3 RAM
XFX geforce gts250 graphics card
Linksys WMP600N wireless adapter
Running on Windows 7 64 bit

The issue I have is with Windows and the wireless card.

When first put together everything function perfectly, I had reasonable wireless signal and was connected to the internet etc etc.

Turning the computer on the next day I found that windows no longer recognised the wireless card. Well, it did recognise it in devise manager, but had installed different drivers and so the card wasn't working. Having tried to re-install the correct drivers and failing I ended up doing a new install of windows, which seemed to fix the issue.

However, the next day the same thing happened again!

Now, I've tried downloading the latest drivers from the Linksys site, and they won't install (Windows usually says the most recent drivers are already installed or says the hardware has a code 31 and it can't install drivers).I've tried re-installing from disc, I've tried selecting other drivers inside Windows, but I either get that message or Windows freezes completely.

If i try taking the card out and putting it back in again Windows usually freezes on startup.

All I want is for my wireless card to work!! Any help is appreciated and I'm sorry if I've rambled on a bit!

Rob

cchrome

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2010

Just buy Dual Band router as D-Link DIR855

mechaflash

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
Sadly enough... use the Windows XP Linksys drivers with this on Windows 7. I tested the Linksys Windows 7/Windows Vista and the Ralink drivers... then I said to myself "I have a crazy idea... I'll try the windows XP drivers..." low and behold it works.

Also perform the steps that cchrome outlined to remove the preinstalled linksys drivers. In addition however, also remove the netr73* folder(s). That pertains to Linksys wireless drivers as well.

~Mechaflash

ray_gillespie

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
I had a whole bunch of problems trying to install my Linksys WMP600N card in Windows 7 64-bit. I eventually swapped over my card into a different PCI slot and it worked! I presume it was an IRQ conflict, but whatever it was it worked. If you're interested in the whole story, I wrote about it on Neowin:

http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1051307-fix-for-linksys-wmp600n-wireless-card-installation-problems/

gidgiddonihah

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
Not to pull up an ancient thread, but I wanted to post my results on solving this myself. I tried installing every version on Lynksys's website, but I didn't have any luck. Rebooting with Safe Mode with all of them failed too. As a last ditch effort I tried cchrome's idea. After I restarted the Win7 64-Bit drivers wouldn't install and neither would the Vista 64-Bit drivers. Windows kept claiming something interrupted it from installing. Before I gave up to purchase a new adapter I tried the XP 64 Bit variant and it installed perfectly. Wireless now works.

ImmaSquashYou

Honorable
Jul 15, 2013

Just wanted to say thanks. I know its been a long time, but it worked for me.