Windows 7 and RAM limits I'm confused again or am I?

Searchin4truth

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
I have a Hp p6212f and it comes with the ASUS Benicia motherboard with an Intel Dual core Pentium E5300 processor and has 6GB of RAM, uses Windows 7 64 bit Operating system. I am thinking of upgrading to the Windows 7 Ultimate or Professional at least so I can have both processors recognized by the operating system. I find that with this system as it is I can only expand the RAM to 8 GB even though it is said that the RAM capacity for Windows 7 Home premium is 8 GB while other computers similar, very similar are accepting 16 GB. Is there possibly another reason unexplained to the public as to why HP would hold the RAM down like that when that is the very reason that we are being moved into the 64bit arena?Then wouldn't that help hold down the amount of programs being open at one time which would assist the processors by not getting them overloaded with more work than they can accommodate with their limitations.It seems very complicated juggling services Could a Home Basic operating system possibly be disguised as a Home Premium which might account for the 8 GB RAM limit. That is the specs for RAM for a Home Basic Operating system and we know that a 32 bit Operating system has a limit of 4GB so they couldn't pretend to be anything too big. it seems to be a rather challenging job to present the windows 7 operating system and make it run on a rather limited power and component bank. I continue to find computer features that are new in windows 7 and aren't running at this time and I wonder if this system is overworked and incapable of making Windows 7 run on this computer. Just like I was told almost two years ago but havent received confirmation on this from HP. They are still stedfast that this is a good time to buy another new computer to replace this new computer. I think i will indeed pass, thank you. Should I hurry and buy another new HP computer like this? if I do please change my name to "Rocks In Head"

Solution
You don't need more than 8 gb of ram. Your board was designed before windows 7 came out. If you want to do anything, get a better power supply and video card. Or build your own system next time.

mathew7

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
As I tried to understand your text, I do have some answers:
Windows 7 all editions are software-limited to how much RAM they use. This is to force a big spender to use a bigger version (Home Basic 8GB, Home Premius 16GB and Proffessional 192GB). So this is a MS choice. Even 32-bit Windows could access more RAM, but possible driver issues made MS to limit to 4GB (for the scheptical ones, to use NX protection you need to enter PAE mode, which permits more-than-4GB access, as there are 32-bit server editions of windows that can use more RAM).
Other limitations may be the memory controller on the board. In your case, it uses G33, which is specified by Intel to 8GB max memory.

So on your current PC, you cannot use more than 8GB.

You don't have two processors, you have one dual-core CPU, which Windows will see fine without any upgrades. Unless you have a motherboard with two physical CPUs. When you start Performance Manager, are there two graphs in the CPU area? If there are, the system sees both cores on your CPU just fine.

RAM limits are not only in software, but also in the motherboard and chipset used on the hardware.

Searchin4truth

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011

I would have to definately agree with you on this matter. But a person would naturally think that the engineers and designers would have calculated what was the necessary power needed for this pc. This is pretty much a black and white question. the Asus power worksheet gives a person the tools to figure out their needs for their project builld so why wouldn't this work to figure this PC out before they started producing mass quantities for the public? And a better video card would be a wonderful addition to this work in progress..For some reason I would think that the video bios and date would be signed off. Then followed up by the Vendors BIOS and release date sign off. But then maybe that's why I am not an engineer or a college graduate. Also the reason I did not install a video graphics card wasthe product specifications state that the integrated video is not available if a graphics card is installed. It didn'''t make sense to have a product be penalized and making a feature unavailable when adding another component that is suppose to improve it. Could this be a compatability issue?It seems that might be the case if I am interpreting this correctly.

Windows 7 is a large file, but 8 gb is plenty for 99% of the people out there. Truth is that technology is changing fast, and some folks can't afford to keep up with it. I used to change stuff constantly, but am happy now with my ssd and my single core sempron. I remember standing in line years ago to pay $100 for a 4 mb ram stick. If you want to change boards in your old system, you'll also need a new windows coa. So I wouldn't do it just to have higher capacity ram. I just changed from 8 gb to 16, and can hardly tell the difference.