Windows 7 Desktops Will Host 3rd-Party Ads

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElectroGoofy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
When I read the headline, I thought "Oh man, they better not..." but when I read that it was through optional themes, as in wallpapers and stuff, that is completely OK with me. I don't like the idea that it could possibly lead to mandatory ads, though.

WINTERLORD

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
well once everyone buys it and they rake in there profit maybe they will just give it free toeveryone and instead of having a uac it will be an add pop up yes or no choice... wtf

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
I'll never obtain a copy of Windows legally again if they put ads on my desktop without my consent, or if more apps have ads due to this than those that do not...

JMS3096

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
Jeez, RTFA....this is about optional wallpapers and stuff for a product you like- for example, I LIKE my official, high-resolution Ferrari theme.

G

It's already set in stone, it WILL be forced on you eventually... Linux FTW IMHO...

G

Just MSs way of telling Apple what every 1st year patent lawyer knows: Apple's patent is (laughably) unenforceable.

wira020

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
[citation][nom]SAL-e[/nom]If I remember Apple got the patent for that! It will be interesting to watch the fight from the side line! LOL[/citation]

yerp, as i remember apple was applying for the patent... dont think they have it yet tho... but it could be different in terms of application... apple could have something else to do in their mind...

gsacks

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2008
Well, I use Ubuntu Linux on 2 out of 3 machines in my house. If this is really the direction that Windows is going, then it will be 3 out of 3 pretty quickly.

Glorian

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2008
Why does everyone assume its going to become mandatory, they only made that statement at the end to get all the dumb asses panties in a bunch. If you don't want don't get it. Windows 7 will run fine with out it.

dreamer77dd

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
people get all up in arms so quickly it makes me laugh. If they did that I think they loose more customers and they know that. They don't need vista and more problems with customers. I think of it as, Call Of Duty T-shirts with Windows logo on them stuff like that. The more people see people using windows 7 the more they think it is ok or a good piece of software.

archange

Distinguished
May 7, 2007
Well, if themes and wallpapers are concerned, it's OK by me - they are optional anyway. Should the ads become embedded in the OS, I will wait for the patch that will remove them all :D

cyberkuberiah

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
[citation][nom]gsacks[/nom]Well, I use Ubuntu Linux on 2 out of 3 machines in my house. If this is really the direction that Windows is going, then it will be 3 out of 3 pretty quickly.[/citation]

yes , brother , this move is a step closer to captive advertising .

TH

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2004
Windows 7 Desktops Will Host 3rd-Party THEMES
The article title is BS. I know it may not be a stretch for some to think Microsoft would change this to ads but get real this is not even the content of the article. If a company wants to support its free themes with ads, that has little to do with Microsoft. There is a lot of ad supported stuff available now and that has nothing to do with the OS or even the platform for that matter. I am soon going to have to stop reading stuff from Kevin Parrish all together.

C 64

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
As I can understand the article MS will allow 3rd party themes and not ads popping up and changing in the background... but then again this is M$ so maybe next time you run a game you will see:

CRYSIS ----- BROUGHT TO YOU BY CARL Jr. ------ NOW WITH MORE FPS

didymus03

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2009
First off, the title of this article is REALLY misleading. Judging from the comments, many of you just read the title and freaked out... What a great example of bad new communication practices and the effect it has on the general reader. /sigh MS isn't embedding ads in Windows (not at least according to any reliable source) and you don't have to download any sponsored themes either if you don't want to. Everyone just relax :)

pinoynobello

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
[citation][nom]ElectroGoofy[/nom]When I read the headline, I thought "Oh man, they better not..." but when I read that it was through optional themes, as in wallpapers and stuff, that is completely OK with me. I don't like the idea that it could possibly lead to mandatory ads, though.[/citation]

Im with you electro i was thinking the same thing

Status
Not open for further replies.