Windows 7 install (from disc) freezes at "Starting Windows"

Cameron Spear

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013
I have a computer that came with Windows 8 and a HDD. I wanted to move my SSD (empty, formatted NSTF or whatever it is) to the new computer and install Windows 7 on it.

My computer wasn't recognizing the flash drive I was trying to boot it from, so I burned an ISO to a disc (from MSDN (I have a dev account)). It was the 64-bit Windows 7 with SP 1 ISO.

I only have 2 SATA cables (I don't even want the old HDD), so I can only plug in at once 2 things (between DVD Drive, SSD and HDD).

OK, down to the issue:

If I boot from DVD, it freezes at "Starting Windows" every time. Doesn't matter if I have my SSD or HDD plugged in, freezes on that screen every time (not the EXACT same moment as sometimes the spinner is at a different state).

I don't believe I have UEFI... the BIOS looks like BIOS from my last PC 8 years ago and I cannot use my mouse. There WAS an option for "secure boot" and I disabled that (got an error trying to boot from disc without doing that).

I don't think it's a hardware issue... Windows 8 boots up fine from the HDD.

This is the computer: http://us.gateway.com/gw/en/US/content/model/DT.GEEAA.004

Solution
check in the bios see if there secure boot..if there is turn it off. see if the sata ports set to achi mode and ram set to xmp profile. see if there setting in the bios to set the bios to legacy boot.

Cameron Spear

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013

Definitely would not be cool if I couldn't downgrade :-( The ISO was DL'ed from MSDN Subscriptions or whatever, and the USB was created via Mac's Bootcamp utility. But it would never recognize the USB, hence trying with a disc.

I am now downloading a different version from MSDN (Windows 7 N 64-bit with SP 1) (the N is different) and I'm gonna try that... just in case that's the issue.

Is there anything I can do to install Windows 7? Is it in the motherboard that's stopping me? I don't really understand how that could work... If all else fails, do you think I could install Windows 8 at least on the SSD?

Cameron Spear

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013

As mentioned before, I did turn off secure boot (wouldn't have gotten as far as I did without it), and SATA ports are set to ACHI (the only other option is Native IDE). I don't see where I can set RAM to XMP, and I looked all over and don't see anything about Legacy Boot.

Cameron Spear

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013

Ok, I did find an option for "Launch CSM" or something, and when I enabled that, it put it in Legacy mode and it worked after that (using the new ISO I mentioned before).

Thanks!

nabakin

Reputable
Mar 12, 2014

Thank you, thank you so much!

AversionTherapy2

Reputable
Apr 14, 2014
Just wanted to say I was having the same problem with a fresh install from a disc and did all the things in the BIOS that were recommended in the below comments. Not sure which one worked but it went straight through the installation after the changes, so thanks! You saved me a lot of hassle!

Cameron Spear said:
smorizio said:
check in the bios see if there secure boot..if there is turn it off. see if the sata ports set to achi mode and ram set to xmp profile. see if there setting in the bios to set the bios to legacy boot.

Ok, I did find an option for "Launch CSM" or something, and when I enabled that, it put it in Legacy mode and it worked after that (using the new ISO I mentioned before).

Thanks!

coxy82

Reputable
Oct 16, 2014
I have recently run into the same issue, and thank you to those on this thread for posting their solutions. For me it was also 'Enable CSM' which did the trick. Cheers.

Bigote

Reputable
Dec 24, 2014

James_146

Reputable
Dec 16, 2015

I have had the same problem but with my mates laptop if the motherboard supports windows 8 or higher try going into bios and turning on legacy support this worked for me

Waimarama

Commendable
May 29, 2016
Just to say - I did have the same stuff and this forum saved my beautiful ass !!! Thanks so much! We fixed a HD notebook after havnig a locky virus - after having to upgrade to WIN 10 - after turning secure boot off and legacy support ON in the BIOS!!!!

THANK YOU! It took about 100 h allup but yeah! No my girlfriend has her computer back hahahaha!

Bless you all