Windows 7 upgrade

asheash

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2012
Hi i have windows 7 pro on my laptop now 10 years old lol. I have just bought a new desktop with windows 7 home can i just format the new desktop and install win pro or is they an easier way don't need anything from the laptop except a bin.

the new pc has a 350-watt 80+ Bronze power supply
G3228 processor
8gb ram
and an MSI NVIDIA GeForce GT 730 4Gb Dedicated Graphics

will i get away with this as a replacment gpu EVGA GeForce GTX 950 FTW, 2GB GDDR5 02G-P4-2958-KR

thx

Solution
Just format the Windows partition on your laptop - - nothing else required.

You may have to activate the new Win7 Pro installation by phone on account of the different hardware, just explain what you've done. If online activation fails, telephone number for the Microsoft Activation Centre should come up on screen, or a button to click on for telephone activation (I've done it over the phone but it was some time ago, can't remember exactly what comes up).
Was Win7 Pro factory-preinstalled on your laptop when you bought it?

Please do not mix several unrelated questions in the same post. Your questions about PSU & GPU should be posted separately on the Components or Systems forums since they have nothing to do with Windows 7 directly.

Just format the Windows partition on your laptop - - nothing else required.

You may have to activate the new Win7 Pro installation by phone on account of the different hardware, just explain what you've done. If online activation fails, telephone number for the Microsoft Activation Centre should come up on screen, or a button to click on for telephone activation (I've done it over the phone but it was some time ago, can't remember exactly what comes up).

Solution

asheash

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2012

lol thank you any way