Windows 7 Usage Passes All Versions of Mac OS X

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]7amood[/nom]not faster but... to be honest, as I jump from XP to 7 I can finally say that I have something new to look at.[/citation]
I hope you didn't buy a new OS just for the looks. There are plenty of other OSs you could have bought in the meantime if you wanted something new to look at. Personally I'd prefer an OS that was completely invisible because the OS doesn't help me get work done, the applications do.

This is an unsurprising piece of news. It was going to happen, it was just a matter of how long before it happened. I will never get over that picture of Ballmer.

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
[citation][nom]ubergeek[/nom]I have added a 64-bit 7 Ultimate that doubles as a hackintosh. So is that +1 for Win7 and -1 for osx? Would this box be considered a Wackintosh7?[/citation]

No sir, that is called awesome.

Well almost, just throw Ubuntu on there as well.

rooseveltdon

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2009
[citation][nom]beillobab[/nom]What a ridiculous article. Of course it outnumbers Mac OS X users. With the number of different manufacturers shipping Windows 7 with no other choice. The number of users does equate to quality of either operating system. Microsoft is lucky Apple doesn't release OS X for use on any computer. If users had a choice, the numbers would be totally different.[/citation]

If apple ever released their OS to every manufacturer,they would have bugs and driver issues and due to the increased numbers they would become targets of hackers who for the most part are familiar with the unix like structure of OS X to begin with (os x is actually easier to hack into than windows)in other words they would lose their advantage in every way and pretty much be destroyed by microsoft which has already estabilished its foot hold and has been dealing with these issues for years....the problem with mac fan boys is that they think they know.......but they really don't.

[citation][nom]p05esto[/nom]Vista 64 is rock solid for me, just a powerhouse. I have no bugs or complaints at all with it (once I disabled UAC anyhow). I like Vista better than Win 7 at the moment...the start menu and lack of the classic interface is a biggie for me, I just like the simplicity better. Why did Win 7 remove that? I don't get it, couldn't have been that big of a deal to offer a choice in that regard.[/citation]

well i am the opposite i always liked the vista start menu and never went back to the classic version. i could care less about the removed quick launch bar as i find the programs in the taskbar as icons and the new aero peak features of going from window to windows better than what orher versions of windows have done.

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]hakesterman[/nom]People didn't want Vista because it got a unfair bad name early. I've had Vista for three years and it has done an outstanding job for me. It crashes far less than XP did, it was easier to use than Xp and it has more options than XP. Windows 7 is just a deluxe version of Vista, most of the Vista drivers work in Windows 7 because it is Vista deluxe. The media couldn't bad mouth Windows 7 enough this time to keep it down because everyone has worn tired of Xp. So when you fire up your new Windows 7 just think you could of had this two years ago if you didn't listen to all the negative crap and just tried it.[/citation]
Yup. I'm sticking with Vista on my desktop, I love it. I do have Win7 Pro on my laptop for faster startup times and more battery time, but I don't like that they made Libraries default and took away a lot of the icons in Explorer. I do like everything else about 7 though.

littlec

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Man people act like Vista is just gawd awful. Rubbish, if you have a decent computer it runs fine. I will be upgrading to windows 7 but not because I hate vista.

liquidsnake718

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
So now they can easily track the usage of OS's at one point from all users..... big bro at its best.......... when we log on i guess the moment the pc goes online it sends data packets of what os we are using and a whole lot more..... WOW

prakalejas

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2005
Well, WinXP x64 version is my OS and I can say it's simply what I need - very stable, supports more application than Win7, supports >4GB RAM and runs pretty well, lacks only DX10/11.
Can't say that win7 is not the future, but it's a cheaper option for buisness.
Win7 still lacks driver support as is doesn't support drivers written for XP and many vista drivers doesn't work too. Some applications doesn't run also on Win7. Benchmarks also doesn't show any real improvements over XP x64.
The majority switching to Win7 are home users and small buisness with new or not old hardware.

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]liquidsnake718[/nom]So now they can easily track the usage of OS's at one point from all users..... big bro at its best.......... when we log on i guess the moment the pc goes online it sends data packets of what os we are using and a whole lot more..... WOW[/citation]
Any time you visit a website you're telling the server what OS you're running.

powerbaselx

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
[citation][nom]Rockstone1[/nom]Bullsh1t isn't the word... insanity is. This IS news.[/citation]

I think you and 3UL guy and the other 11 guys that voted negative on my comment didn't get it. I'm ALSO a Windows 7 user and i don't deserve this kind of posture and feedback from you.
This is NOT news. This is insanity and bulshit as you say. It has nothing constructive and do not promote Windows 7 well.
What i wanted to say is that it's not necessary for Microsoft to remind people how much Windows 7 is selling. It was better to use this news space to say something more constructive, no?

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]rpmrush[/nom]Yup, have been using it. I'm surprised it's not higher. As soon as businesses start adopting it, Win 7 will sky rocket.[/citation]
Our company invested in over 450 win 7 licenses, but our usage will likely not show up as that many, as we're natting to only 16 ips - so businesses won't make the number skyrocket.

ossie

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2008
Good work yummy boy... give wintarded micro$uxx fankiddies their daily portion of m$ crack, to be happy and have something to drool about.[citation][nom]7amood[/nom]not faster but... to be honest, as I jump from XP to 7 I can finally say that I have something new to look at.[/citation]
Yesss! That's the spirit!
Great picture of mr. Frankenstein's way to express his thoughts at fankiddies: screwed you again...
[citation][nom]randomizer[/nom]Any time you visit a website you're telling the server what OS you're running.[/citation]
Not necessarily... headers might be faked, e.g . for "compatibility" reasons.

ossie

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2008
[citation][nom]randomizer[/nom]Most users aren't going to know how to do that[/citation]
Yes, but the knowledgeable ones know. And those are usually not using the gamer/drm o$.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]ossie[/nom]Yes, but the knowledgeable ones know. And those are usually not using the gamer/drm o$.[/citation]
Are you implying that everybody with knowledge is using osx or linux for desktop usage? osx might be valid if we remove the knowledge part, but linux desktop users are few - and what's more - those are generally less literate (albeit more nerdy about their chosen fancy) than the rest of us, and almost always so heavily biased that they can't even argue properly about their choice.
Seeing how your statements are of the same nature as demonhorde665's (except for the spelling) I assume you're as daft as he.

You're just a kid trying to cause trouble whereever you are. Go away.

[citation][nom]hakesterman[/nom]People didn't want Vista because it got a unfair bad name early. I've had Vista for three years and it has done an outstanding job for me. It crashes far less than XP did, it was easier to use than Xp and it has more options than XP. Windows 7 is just a deluxe version of Vista, most of the Vista drivers work in Windows 7 because it is Vista deluxe. The media couldn't bad mouth Windows 7 enough this time to keep it down because everyone has worn tired of Xp. So when you fire up your new Windows 7 just think you could of had this two years ago if you didn't listen to all the negative crap and just tried it.[/citation]

Couldnt agree more

[citation][nom]prakalejas[/nom]Well, WinXP x64 version is my OS and I can say it's simply what I need - very stable, supports more application than Win7, supports >4GB RAM and runs pretty well, lacks only DX10/11.Can't say that win7 is not the future, but it's a cheaper option for buisness.Win7 still lacks driver support as is doesn't support drivers written for XP and many vista drivers doesn't work too. Some applications doesn't run also on Win7. Benchmarks also doesn't show any real improvements over XP x64.The majority switching to Win7 are home users and small buisness with new or not old hardware.[/citation]

Havnt seen a driver for vista not work with win7 yet - stop speaking crap

[citation][nom]littlec[/nom]Man people act like Vista is just gawd awful. Rubbish, if you have a decent computer it runs fine. I will be upgrading to windows 7 but not because I hate vista.[/citation]

Q6600 @ 3.5, 8gb, 2x250 RAID0, 8800GT - the only thing i notice between Win7 and Vista is my hdd light flickers less, on the downside my MSN Live Messenger crashes and Connections to one of my servers laged (fixed from an update i believe) - cant complain :D

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]apache_lives[/nom]Q6600 @ 3.5, 8gb, 2x250 RAID0, 8800GT - the only thing i notice between Win7 and Vista is my hdd light flickers less, on the downside my MSN Live Messenger crashes and Connections to one of my servers laged (fixed from an update i believe) - cant complain[/citation]

There are more differences between vista and win7 than that!
For instance Vista with some recent update stopped working properly with our meru based wireless network (with a radius server and authentication on web) because vista no longer asks the dns servers if the network awareness software finds 'local only' network.
Thus our vista users have to access a homepage based on ip numbers to be redirected to the login page. Once logged in, they'll have to wait till vista notices it's got internet before they can use it. In windows 7 you get a notice that 'additional login might be required' instead of it just stopping to work. Also the UAC has more levels which is crucial from a business perspective. And the process scheduler is better in windows 7. With an amd phenom or phenom 2, or an i5 or i7 you get a lower power usage with win 7 (vista and xp are adapted for core2 and a64)

And there are probably a host of other improvements in win7 that make it worth using over vista. At home I don't think vista is enough of a poor choice to warrent an upgrade, but anything at work running vista should either be degraded to xp or upgraded to win 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.