Windows 7 won't recognize the DVD in a blu-ray drive but...

ihong5

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012
Hi.. I got a blu-ray drive and a dvd drive installed on my desktop computer
when I try to rip the blu-ray and/or DVD, it does work.
but, when I click on the my computer and try to open the contents (right-click on the drive >> click open)
the message says 'please insert the media into the blu-ray drive/dvd drive'. and
once i click ok, the drive pops open, prompting me to insert the media, when it is already there!
umm... why is this?

ihong5

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012
Hi there,
I did update the firmware but it still won't recognize the media I insert.
Now what's weird is when I restart the computer, it will work.
But after ripping a few blu-rays (without restarting), it will not recognize it.
I don't know why! :(

cpatel1987

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010

I'm confused. Do you have a blu-ray drive and a separate DVD drive, or is it a combo?

Does a blu-ray work? If so, could be an issue with the laser that reads DVD's or software/firmware.

If you have more then one SATA controller, lets say Intel and Jmicron/asmedia/ect, try that.

I have seen some occasional times when a drive would not show a DVD/BD, but it is rather limited and most times I had seen it was after sleep.

I had it once on my media center and I just kept giving the computer the dvd and it finally played. Kind of a pain.

Are you using something like ANYdvdhd? If you are and are still within your update time, try to see if they have a newer version out for you.

Interesting point, I have an older BD/DVD drive that ONLY reads bluray now as the DVD part is no longer working. If I open the drive, It is not one laser reading both it has 2 full sets of laser + optical pickup on 1 set of rails. It was strange to see at first.