Windows 8 Being Full Metro Will Be Your Choice

Status
Not open for further replies.

alterecho

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
Whats with all the retail OS makers lately? First Lion and now Windows 8.
They've let the smartphone successes get to their heads.

Smartphones should be smartphones and computers should be computers.

ikyung

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
[citation][nom]aznshinobi[/nom]Elegant, yes. PC no, maybe for tablets or phones. But not for PC, I feel it'd be more frustrating to work with those dang tiles. I already have widgets on my desktop.[/citation]
That is what I thought when I first saw the preview for Win8, but I don't see why it wouldn't work as long as it is compatible and efficient. Seems as thought Microsoft and Apple is trying to uniform their products now which makes perfect sense to me. I can get use to it as long as it is efficient as W7 or XP.

dread_cthulhu

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
[citation][nom]alterecho[/nom]Whats with all the retail OS makers lately? First Lion and now Windows 8.They've let the smartphone successes get to their heads.Smartphones should be smartphones and computers should be computers.[/citation]

The lines get blurrier everyday... I doubt I'll invest in Windows 8, unless it outperforms 7...

godfather666

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
I'll always be a desktop guy, and have no use for smartphone-style interfaces, but other people prefer it... so why not give them the choice?

Choice is good, as long as it doesn't hurt the functionality in traditional Windows.

malphas

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]thanks for pointing that out captain obvious[/citation]
Exactly, I think it's been clear from the outset that the Metro UI was brought about in response to the increasingly wide range of form factors Windows would be targeting, and intended for use primarily on tablets. Of course, that didn't stop the lolcows from whining about how awful it is, and how they'll stick with Windows 7/XP forever.

G

This entire thread sounds like the same comments I heard when WordPerfect decided to include pull-down menus in WordPerfect 5. "OMG, people just need to learn to use the function keys!" Guys, there is no 'PC' interface or 'tablet' interface. A design thrives or dies because people like it.

chickenhoagie

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
Now if they put this on a lightweight tablet -- competitive to the iPad's weight, size and dimensions -- then add the USB ports for support of any USB device including keyboard/mouse, HDMI port for external display, and keep the OS open to all 3rd party software..in other words, let me have the ability to go to google.com, or mozilla and download any browser I want, use any program I want that is Windows 7/XP/Vista compatible, let me run Steam on it with all my games even if the tablet doesn't have the hardware to play every game that I own. Hell they can even throw in an application store for games like Doodle jump or angry birds, because sometimes they're fun too:). If they can manage to put all that together inside of a tablet with up to date hardware like AT LEAST a quad core processor..then you got a tablet that I am 100% willing to buy at a reasonable/affordable price.

well then oh wise one let me know what linux distro looks better than windows

pozaks

Distinguished
May 12, 2010
Wow, those tiles sure are great indicators of what freaking program they open.
Some text!
A man's chin!
01!
People running!
Green words!
They've made a total tradeoff of presenting information quickly rather that organizing it and making it quickly recognizable. In other place (like the office buttons) they go for a pretty looking consistency with the new apps rather optimizing that space or making the icons large and recognizable.
And my god, the awkward drop into the Win7 interface when Excel is opened. And trying to use the taskbar on a touch interface looked painful even for the presenter.

Ahem, the keyboard is pretty sweet. Nice photo app. Best of luck to you MS.

sticks435

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2008
Sounds to me like Metro will be the default, and we'll have to manually switch to the desktop every time we reboot or log of. Thanks, but no thanks. Guess we could put the "desktop app" in the start menu or something.

fullcircle_bflo

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2010
I see this as a way to increase the accessibility of the PC to people who may not be as savvy as Tom's readers. This is giving more information at once for quicker consumption and doing it in fewer steps. While I think this this is primarily suited for tablets, I could see this being of great use in AIO PCs as well. Hell, depending on how games can be integrated, I may even use it.

HistoryBuff44

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
i just hope they make it easy to turn that stuff off when the time comes. for just messing around that might be great. but for work stuff, development and such, that might just be annoying.

also, woulda been great if they showed what dual monitors looks like on there.

Welcome to the new trend in the industry, simple enough for even a animal could use but for work this is a child's toy. It looks pretty, has massive and colorful tiles, meaningless pictures, and far far short of what most who use their machines for actual work need.

Fit for a toddler or some preschoolers but for programing or setting up routers and switches over command line no thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.