Windows 8 Customers Fuming Over Spotty Updates

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

There is a great update to windows 8, it's called Install windows 7 and wait for windows 9.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Paul Otellini's retiring in May, and this is all you people post about? Not to mention some slimmer imacs crap.

Paul f****ing Otellini! Retiring! Three years early! :'(

Hope Intel doesn't lose focus now...

adventmind

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2010
[citation][nom]stevo74[/nom]I Have Windows 8 - using the drivers that Windows installs - I don't use 3rd party programs that won't play nice with Windows and guess what? Everything is just fine.All my programs run faster on Windows 8 and it takes me less time to do what I need to do on my computer.I guess that those that build their own computers should learn to design them properly and not blame MS for their own mistakes[/citation]

I found the one smart guy on Tom's. Congrats.

bllue

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
Lol at the people threatening to go Apple. I'm suuuure you're gonna spend $2000 to replace a $800 better specced PC, especially if they use it for gaming - not happening! I've gone through the update and no issues here, and I'm using an upgraded OS install so it's not even a clean install. Keep your drivers up to date

Cryio

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
[citation][nom]egilbe[/nom]Win7...it just works[/citation]

Windows 8, it just launched. Let it some time to breath.

Remember the recently launch Windows 7 sometimes HIDDING all partitions in the first month, except C:\ ?? Yeah...

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
[citation][nom]Zingam_Duo[/nom]Tom, will you, please, finally replace the fat guy and the xbox slut with something new???[/citation]
The fat guy, yeah....but who is this XBOX slut you speak of?

Thor

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2004
Even if I really don't like Bill Gates, the one who replace him is a lot idiot.
Microsoft suck more than ever now.
Just look how many time it take to go in Tablet world!
What's happen when no brain control one big company.

Windows 8 is like Windows Me.

suture

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
This is probably the best windows yet, and ppl are whining bcause theres no start button menu "oh the horror".
And now nitpicking on a failed update on a small amount of machines, that, like some said, only annoying and almost fixed itself, in this "seemingly infinite number of hardware configurations/driver setups" is kinda of amazing windows 8 working so awesomely overall.

The new apps, well, they need some improvements, but then again, none of you are forced to use them, everything else works even better than win7. (In my personal experience, and its a costum gaming rig fyi)

It has some minor problems yeh, but comparing win8 to windows vista or winME? just get real.

.. haters gonna hate.

zrobbb

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2011
I feel people are blowing the badness of Win8 way out of proportion. It really is not that bad, sure it has its issues, but so does most technology on release. I think soon if Microsoft look after it properly it could be a very strong OS. You can get a start button easily, and just not use the Metro UI. In my experience, the people that seem to complain about it most are those who have never used it, or used it very little or those who just don't like change. How do you expect technology to advance if you do not adapt to change? Give Microsoft time, and give yourself some every day experience with the OS and it really is not that bad. IN MY OPINION.

Rob

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
Great job with the next-gen OS, Microsoft! Great job! On other news Windows 7 is rock solid, just as fast, just as safe (if not more so than W8), has a fully functional start menu, desktop, and doesn't force Metr...sorry...Modern UI down my throat - oh, and yes, I already own it which means no need to spend cash on that tablet OS you keep telling me belongs on my desktop PC.

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Actually, the thing that bothers me most about this article is the slanted nature it is posted in. It seems Tomshardware insists on using media hype tactics instead of reporting news and information in an unbiased way.

I'm not condemning everything Tomshardware does; there are still excellent reviews and quality editors here. However, this kind of "reporting" doesn't belong on a site like this.

I wonder what Thomas Pabst thinks of what's been done to his good work.

Pherule

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
""Maybe I should just uninstall Windows 8 and go get a Mac," said another."

Heh. That's like throwing away pizza because it got a bit moldy and choosing to eat dog crap instead.
Have these idiots ever heard of Linux? I suppose if they had, they still think it's a command line only OS.

bernlin2000

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012
Yeah...buy a whole new computer with Mac OS...or just stick to Windows 7. Like others have said here, it just works, and there's no reason to upgrade from what I've seen regarding Windows 8's features. It seems pretty clear to me that the OS is targeting tablets in particular, which means that keyboarded computers are getting shafted by not being focused on (like I think they should be...they can pry my keyboard from my dead, cold hands). For tablet PCs it might be worthwhile to upgrade, but for my desktop and laptop computers, I look at the end of mainstream support (Jan 2015) as the actual marker of when to begin considering an upgrade. It took Microsoft almost 8 years to create another OS that could compete with Windows XP, strictly on usability and tolerance for different hardware configs. Hopefully it won't take them that long for a Windows 7 replacement, but I won't be holding my breath...Windows 8 is clearly not the answer, and the next iteration might not be either.

bernlin2000

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012
[citation][nom]Cryio[/nom]Windows 8, it just launched. Let it some time to breath.Remember the recently launch Windows 7 sometimes HIDDING all partitions in the first month, except C:\ ?? Yeah...[/citation]

Oh, I'll give it time alright: 3-4 years sounds about right. I see no reason whatsoever to upgrade right now from Windows 7 to 8 that will improve my ability to use my computer...at all.

atikkur

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
waited 30 minutes or so just to saw the updates failed... i can see the pain. i am predicting windows 8 will be the os that needs a lot of patching along its life (concerning this os must compatible with many hardware; desktop pc/notebook, tablet, arm).

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
[citation][nom]Zingam_Duo[/nom]Tom, will you, please, finally replace the fat guy and the xbox slut with something new???[/citation]
you mean the fat guy and the firefox slut? time for some new ta tas

G

zrobbb: no people are not blowing the badness way out of proportion, The windows 8 modern UI is something really bad blown out of who knows what from Microsoft's everybody Knows Where!

Modern: Most Of Desktop Efficiency Reduced Needlessly!

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
this is MS plan put out a spotty OS just to turn around and make the next OS the fixed version so everyone will jump to it and praise MS for fixing their own mistakes from the last version.

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
"I do blame Microsoft because unlike Apple who don't claim to support ever piece of hardware out there Microsoft do actually claim this otherwise they would have gone down the same route as Apple and only built their own hardware," said one user. "So it Microsoft's fault for not having a test pool large enough to stop most people from running into problems like this. It would appear that windows 8 is suffering like Vista did."

What an idiot. Manufacturer's make products to work with windows, not the other way around. MS works with very few OEM manufacturers to certify that the base product works.

If you buy cut-rate hardware and software, or run spotty or beta drivers, you have no right to complain. He wants to get an apple? Good, see how much "better" macs are when you can't do anything besides run photoshop and garageband.

gromit73

Honorable
Nov 15, 2012
while I can understand people fuming at the failed updates, shouldn't the target for this fuming be the companies making the dodgy drivers that are causing the problem, not MS who actually relatively cleanly reverts (if somewhat slowly).

Status
Not open for further replies.