Windows 8 Customers Fuming Over Spotty Updates

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cosmic101

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012
Read the threads it's a lot of people who have added, windows 7 start menu style programs and surprise, surprise that causes problems.
So called power users RTFM!.
I love 8, it just works no problems on all the systems i installed it on.

G

Lots of M$ damage control minions trying to spin positive about the negative efficiency caused by the windows 8 Metro/Modern UI on the desktop! See you on RED friday!

NiPPonD3nZ0

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
That's why i'm paranoid about ALLWAYS getting the latest drivers from the chips manufacturer whenever possible (not the mobo or laptop support pages... they allways old drivers and generic most the time anyways)

My ACER Aspire 3680 (upgraded from a Celeron to a C2D T5500, up to 2GB of RAM from 512MB and with an 320GB WD Caviar Black HDD) is running Win8 steady and solid with 0 (ZERO) drivers from the ACER website!!! Guess what, no broken updates, no BSOD's, just solid computing!
Wasn't a fan of the 8, but it gets better over time and right now, i've allmost forgot abou not having Start menu... Dealing with it like i used to deal with Windows 3.1, get the Windows resized and make everything on hand on the desktop

[citation][nom]Branden[/nom]woah woah woah! please don't compare windows 8 to windows vista.compare it to windows ME instead.[/citation]

Windows ME is in a league far beyond what vista and 8 will ever achieve. I can still remember all the issues with ME it to this day......

devBunny

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
[citation][nom]therogerwilco[/nom]People have bashed the Surface saying [..] or 'the windows store is forcing people to use a certain interface to download their apps'. Both of these things Apple has done for a long time, Ipads etc, and Itunes. (nobody is complaining?)[/citation]

No complaint here ... unless you count deliberately avoiding proprietary, closed-system, over-priced Apple as a complaint. ;-)

devBunny

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
[citation][nom]freiheitner[/nom]That's actually smart that the system reverts to the pre-update state if the update fails. It's too bad it takes 30 minutes to decide that the update failed, but it's still a smart idea.[/citation]

I despair at people's low expectations. It's not smart, it's how it should have been done for decades. Like Windows having keys to move windows around the screen and from screen to screen. Wow, an amazing innovation in Windows 7!! No, something bloody obvious that should have been added the first time that screens were large enough to want to position windows that are less than full screen. And now Windows 8 wants us to get into the full screen vibe again? On 24", 27" and 30" screens?? LMFAO!
[/rant ;-)]

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]stevo74[/nom]I Have Windows 8 - using the drivers that Windows installs - I don't use 3rd party programs that won't play nice with Windows and guess what? Everything is just fine.All my programs run faster on Windows 8 and it takes me less time to do what I need to do on my computer.I guess that those that build their own computers should learn to design them properly and not blame MS for their own mistakes[/citation]

Sup Microsoft employee.

jamoise

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
you see the metro interface is just another way to display the start button. you hit the windows key. the metro "start" interface shows up. you can customize it to display the items you want to use on it. instead of just having EVERYTHING in the list that you have to browse through to find. you want to add something else on the menu.. just start typing the name of the application.. oh look it searched and found it.. now just throw that on the start menu and you can now have instant access to it by just pressing the windows key and then clicking the applcation on the list.... now that was incredibly hard to get used to.

darkavenger123

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
I have already predicted Windoze 8 will be MS biggest disaster in History. On a magnitude worst than Vista. Vista was actually a great OS but ahead of it's time with 3rd party support drivers lacking. Windows 7 launched when all the drivers are matured and optimize on the Vista issues and hence the success.

Windows 8 was a disaster from day 1. So many complains regarding the UI until the person in charge was fired. And now all these problems. I won't migrate to MAC like some idiots suggested.

I'll just stick to Windows 7 and wait for Windows 9. There's really no compelling reason to upgrade to WIndows 8 unless you like huge blocky buttons and pull your hairs in frustrution for all the problems.

marcolorenzo

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
"Maybe I should just uninstall Windows 8 and go get a Mac"

Why go through the trouble of uninstalling Windows 8 when they're just gonna get a new computer? I hope he realises that he can't "install a Mac" on his current computer (well he could but i doubt he'd want the trouble).

G

i too have had no problems i put on my ASUS m51Vr Core 2 duo 2.25 Ghz 4 Gb RAM
as a clean install and have been running it now a couple of months it is sometimes a little slow after authenticating with picture password but otherwise great.

i also have it on my Toshiba u920T win 8 Tablet man that thing boots up fast
and is a dream to use no problems at all ont here i got rid of nortons and have been rocketing along
the interface has some good points and some hard to learn points but overall i like the idea of using the tile wall start menu to layer things that cluttering up my desktop with shortcuts to affrica and i never like searching through menu to sliding left menu to sliding menu to find where something has moved from the previous incantation of windows

Pulagatha

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2011
It's the JIGSAW interface of Windows 8. It is awful. Well, this part is in metro, that isn't. FULL SCREEN APPS. THE GOD AWFUL START SCREEN. It's like someone took the worst parts of a mobile operating system and stuck them on a desktop counterpart. Not to mention, the in-system advertising. Jesus... That is awful. A lot of these metro apps should be only for a mobile device. A lot of people who use Windows 7, and love it, have desktops. They want a desktop equivalent. NOT THE METRO MOBILE VERSION. Did Microsoft think no one was going to notice that they just wrote one version of quintessential programs and tried to tailor it to desktop computers? Is Microsoft just trying to be cheap? I should be paid for how many times I've complained about every thing that is wrong with Windows 8. Are the developers too out of touch? Out of touch for a touchscreen UI... There is a great joke there. The App Changer Window. The WiFi Window. They are coded to look like Metro on the desktop. WTF?

Microsoft needs to focus on what is essential. Make desktop equivalents to the new emerging apps that are becoming essential. Messaging. Notifications. Contacts. SEPARATE METRO FROM WINDOWS ALL TOGETHER. MAKE A DESKTOP APP FOR THEIR STORE. THE END.

rawoysters

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009
"No... It's a piece of crap but you have probably been fed crap all your life so you could not make the difference."

Wow, if downvotes weren't limited to 20 you might just have set a new all time record. Your comment is undeserved, illogical and seemingly completely misinformed. Win 7 is consensually the most efficient, stable OS that Microsoft has ever had.

Auroram

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011
[citation][nom]stevo74[/nom]I Have Windows 8 - using the drivers that Windows installs - I don't use 3rd party programs that won't play nice with Windows and guess what? Everything is just fine.All my programs run faster on Windows 8 and it takes me less time to do what I need to do on my computer.I guess that those that build their own computers should learn to design them properly and not blame MS for their own mistakes[/citation]
Yeah, let's all use only pre-build closed platform systems with limited amounts of usable software and old hardware, just so we know it'll work. Or you could just buy an Apple system, because that's pretty much what it is then?

I'd prefer to use quality software on hardware of my own choosing. Not only for myself, but also for companies who can't just switch out a ton of hard- and software like that. Hell, we all know how slow the update cycle is anyway within enterprises. Many are just now switching from XP to Windows 7. No way they'll even consider going for Windows 8 for whatever reason anytime soon. It's just to much of a hassle to educate employees in using it, as well as making sure everything even works in the first place.

Your point of "don't use third party programs" is just about the most ridiculous thing I've ever read on Windows 8 compatibility feedback. Windows 7 performed excellent compared to Windows 8 and Vista right from the start.

Microsoft has known for years where they were going with Windows 8 and what needed to be done to prevent compatibility issues. This isn't the first OS they've made. It should not be up to the customer to find new software and / or buy new hardware for an OS with the exact same hardware requirements as Windows 7 to work properly.

Just my 2 cents.

G

The problem with these kinds of errors is that the OS is for consumers, not the tech savy. When windows update stalls for 30 minutes I would guess that at least 50% of users will just power off their computer and turn it back on. OK in the middle of an update that is a bad idea, I have seen in some cases that render a computer unbootable. People (right or wrong) have some expectations about how a computer works and are also very impatient.

Also how the heck are you supposed to use this OS in a workplace? It doesn't chain admin privileges through EXE chains. It also cannot go on a 30 minute break when you install updates (a la reboot in some small business environments). Microsoft has been breaking applications and users with forced obsolescence for years. It keeps me employed, but the challenges expand every time because the application base expands. And all they want is a touch screen office I cant really use and no one wants.

murzar

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
I finally got to see what an actual Win 8 desktop looks like at a promo event. Nope. Never. Can never ever give a presentation with that desktop.

Status
Not open for further replies.