Windows 8 Goes RTM: Last Milestone Before October Release

Status
Not open for further replies.

iLLz

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2003
I am definitely excited about this release. While I am sure I'll be spending most of my time in the Desktop Environment, Microsoft has done quite a bit under the hood of Windows 8 to make it perform better than any other OS. Reading the Developing Windows Blog sheds a ton of light on the subject. Kudos, Microsoft!

G

So who is planning on upgrading from Windows 7...............crickets, crickets.....

fayzaan

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
[citation][nom]iknowhowtofixit[/nom]Microsoft usually will give out free copies of Ultimate at their shows/presentation events now that it is RTM. I received 2 copies of 7 Ultimate when I went to one of the shows a couple months before it was released.[/citation]
how do you attend these shows/presentation events...I'd be interested in going. I am definitely thinking about switching to Windows 8. I am no nub pc user, always been the early adopter...if I didn't like it I'd revert back.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
the only thing i'm excited abot is Windows 9 when Microsoft fixes all the problems with Windows 8 that caused many people to stick to windows 7 or downgrade to windows 7 when they bought a pc with indows 8 on it. Windows 8's metro and lack of start menu is going to end up having a big negative impact on a lot of avg consumors.

fayzaan

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
[citation][nom]SteelCity1981[/nom]the only thing i'm excited abot is Windows 9 when Microsoft fixes all the problems with Windows 8 that caused many people to stick to windows 7 or downgrade to windows 7 when they bought a pc with indows 8 on it. Windows 8's metro and lack of start menu is going to end up having a big negative impact on a lot of avg consumors.[/citation]

Dude, I don't see what the big deal is about start menu, it just slows things down having to go through that stupid menu. Especially when you're trying to navigate and if your mouse moves out of the sub menu area you gotta go back under the sub menu again.

Shortcuts are much better, faster access for day to day stuff. Who likes going through a list when you probably use like 5-6 programs on a day to day basis. Honestly, with Windows 7 I would pin my most used apps on the taskbar itself.

scythe944

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]confish21[/nom]so wait is rtm a new build? im on 8250[/citation]
Yes, it's a new build and the final version before it hits stores.

Osmin

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
I love all the stuff under the hood and will be excited when they have an easy way to disable the Metro interface and bring back the Windows 7 start button for those that do not have touch screens. Its' not just the training you have to provide to your users, but I also dislike my entire screen disappearing for a simple start button. I don't know if I would prefer desktop widgets for the Metro tiles that update information instead of looking at simple tiles on the entire screen. Would you have liked it if the Start Button, on the previous releases, erased the entire screen to show all your programs on one rectangular piece at a time? I will be getting Windows 8 at the initial discounted price, but will hope Microsoft change their mind to allow the traditional start button on desktops. I don't want to install a third party app to change the interface at work but I know that eventually when users upgrade their home equipment, the training issue will be easier to deal with.

G

Its all plain sailing now......right off a cliff!

It might be ok on tablets or phones, but the metro interface will be utterly horrid on a desktop.

If they paid me $500 i would not install windows 8, well id install it and then uninstall it. They would have to pay me $10000 to actually switch to windows 8 and use it without uninstalling it. Anything less would not be worth my time.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
[citation][nom]nospam56456425642[/nom]So who is planning on upgrading from Windows 7...............crickets, crickets.....[/citation]
You mean downgrading from Windows 7. ;)

notuptome2004

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
[citation][nom]Inferno1217[/nom]Already available through torrents.[/citation]

No it is not and even if it was you still need a product key to activate it. the only version you can use right now is the readily available consumer Release preview

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]notuptome2004[/nom]the Metro start screen does everything the start menu did but better it does everything it did Period.[/citation]

Every time something goes full screen on my computer, I lose $1000. That's why I'll never use anything that uses Metro, or allow it to be used in my company. Period.

notuptome2004

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]Every time something goes full screen on my computer, I lose $1000. That's why I'll never use anything that uses Metro, or allow it to be used in my company. Period.[/citation]

Tell me how are you losing $1000 everytime somthing goes full screen on your system. and you do relaize if you dont want to use Metro inetrface the start screen ya can stay in the desktop the entire time right you do know that right and you know that you can pin apps to the taskbar or Taskbars if you have multi screens and that you can go in to the start screen just to open an regular windows app cause regular windows Apps dnt go Full screen in the start screen they go direct to desktop

Inferno1217

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
[citation][nom]skippygeneration[/nom]The rule of thumb for Microsoft OS: Skip a generation.[/citation]
If it's build 9200 then yes it is available. Keys are coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.