Windows 8 Has a Slightly Friendlier Blue Screen of Death

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lordstormdragon

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
"I'm certain you're new to teh internets, sir. I suggest using Google to look up things that you don't understand... it tends to be helpful."

Oh, another malliterate who can't grasp the basic tenets of communication? Let me help you then, son, for it's your future at stake:

http://tinyurl.com/3t9q6d5

conjugation
[kon-juh-gey-shuhn]  
con·ju·ga·tion

noun
1. Grammar:
a. the inflection of verbs.
b. the whole set of inflected forms of a verb or the recital or display thereof in a fixed order: The conjugation of the Latin verb amo begins amō, amas, amat.
c. a class of verbs having similar sets of inflected forms: the Latin second conjugation.

Stardude82

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
[citation][nom]mchuf[/nom]I've had a Vista pc for three years and two Win 7 rigs for over a year now and haven't seen a BSOD on any of them. The only way you'll see a BSOD nowadys is user error.[/citation]
Or hardware problems. I had a stick of RAM fail and a RAID card which didn't play nice. Big difference is now when programs crash instead of taking down the whole system.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

Read this and the rest of the website, then come back.

[citation][nom]stardude82[/nom]Or hardware problems. I had a stick of RAM fail and a RAID card which didn't play nice. Big difference is now when programs crash instead of taking down the whole system.[/citation]

Or driver/software problems. Logitech's Gaming Software causes some random crashes/BSOD's when coming out of sleep. I suppose that could be considered human error, but not user error.

G

You know an error message should give you some indication of the problem.... You know in case you wanted to fix it....

An error message with no info = stupidity. Not that the old blue screen was much better. But at least it had some hint about what happened. If they are going to take the time to redo it. Mabye they should take the time to make it present you with better information.

aftcomet

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
I don't know if the BSOD is a running gag, but when you get one it's most likely a HARDWARE problem and not something that is wrong with Windows. I've never gotten one. You usually get one due to bad RAM, bad overclock, etc.

I dunno though, haven't got one since I can remember.

lordstormdragon

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
There are literally countless reasons for a system to crash in this manner. It's not necessarily hardware-related, not necessarily software-related, could just be a messy registry, could be just about anything.

Any guesses based on the data given here are mere speculation. Even Win7 will crash. It's just much less prone than previous versions. But for everyone who says it's never crashed - congratulations! Except your reports mean little without also reporting what you do with your machines. Of course it won't crash browsing for Youtube vids or doing Excel. The real test is when productivity and income are on the line... Or when performing much more strenuous mathematics such as 3D rendering or video editing, to name a few.

That said, Win7 is more than stable enough to run my arch/viz career, and surely saves hours a week over XP, not just in stability but functionality. Unless Win8 brings similar bonuses and functionality upgrades, I can't see much use for it outside of the tablet niche.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]lordstormdragon[/nom]"I'm certain you're new to teh internets, sir. I suggest using Google to look up things that you don't understand... it tends to be helpful."Oh, another malliterate who can't grasp the basic tenets of communication? Let me help you then, son, for it's your future at stake:http://tinyurl.com/3t9q6d5conjugation[kon-juh-gey-shuhn]  con·ju·ga·tion  noun1. Grammar:a. the inflection of verbs.b. the whole set of inflected forms of a verb or the recital or display thereof in a fixed order: The conjugation of the Latin verb amo begins amō, amas, amat.c. a class of verbs having similar sets of inflected forms: the Latin second conjugation.[/citation]
Wow, grammar police, pull over
Seriously, try reading this http://failblog.org/

Also, you just reminded me of Mr Logic from Viz magazine
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2008-1/1295944/mrlogic.gif

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
I think there should be User custom Screen Dumps...

Imagine... you can set your PC to show a cartoon drawing of a plate of POO... Yep, your computer just crapped all over itself.

Macintosh won't ever do that!

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]rantoc[/nom]Still have to see the win7 one, darn its been stable for years![/citation]
Really? Years? Winows7 hasn't been out for years since its official release.

But I've seen Win7 blue screen, but its usually a hardware problem (bad memory / mobo).

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]belardo[/nom]Really? Years? Winows7 hasn't been out for years since its official release.But I've seen Win7 blue screen, but its usually a hardware problem (bad memory / mobo).[/citation]
Some of us have been using it since the beta, even then with no issues, still I agree with your assessment - the majority of blue screen error are hardware related, if a hard drive had it's own little screen that said "sorry, my bad" when it screwed up people wouldn't give MS such a hard time.

BSOD is only a message, Windows is the messenger, don't shoot the messenger.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]siege_templar[/nom]you think they would get rid of it all together...[/citation]
You mean like Apple? Machine stops and restarts and you say "WTF just happened?" You can almost hear Jobs in the background whispering "Shut up and pretend nothing happened".

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]belardo[/nom]Really? Years? Winows7 hasn't been out for years since its official release.But I've seen Win7 blue screen, but its usually a hardware problem (bad memory / mobo).[/citation]
If he has the RTM version then he can mention years since it's older than 2 years.

G

It is easy to get a BSOD, install Tom Clancy Rainbow Six Vegas 1 and play for about an hour.
It will BSOD regardless of how stable your machine is :D

Status
Not open for further replies.