Windows 8 Has a Slightly Friendlier Blue Screen of Death

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Yea, it doesn't matter that it shows info on whatever error it is....

MS help both on and offline rarely has information on the errors anyways....

That is one thing the po's me the most. These guys built the thing, create a reference help for it.... and then don't even have the info on whatever it is that is happening.....

[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]Yea, it doesn't matter that it shows info on whatever error it is....MS help both on and offline rarely has information on the errors anyways....That is one thing the po's me the most. These guys built the thing, create a reference help for it.... and then don't even have the info on whatever it is that is happening.....[/citation]

100% agree.

Similarly, it is funny when Windows asks if you want to look up an "unknown extension" and you think, oh that's great, then the search results in nothing. It's easier to bypass that entirely and just go straight to google.

MrBig55

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
I don't find it friendlier at all: where is the actual error message and it's code so that we know what happened ?? Oh well tech evolution keeps going backward within Microsoft...

theroguex

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
[citation][nom]Gin Fushicho[/nom]Wait.. so we won't get fancy codes that specify what the problem is anymore? We just get a general issue listed? FAIL.[/citation]

Why re people thumb's downing this comment? It's completely true. People who work on computers USE those codes to help determine what the issue is and what needs to be done to fix it. Also, mini-dumps sometimes aren't easy to get your hands on, especially if the blue screen is preventing the computer from booting even into safe mode. Think about it.

FloKid

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
[citation][nom]SteelCity1981[/nom]So is this suppose to make people less mad when they get one? lol[/citation]

Yes, they just have to change to : )

legacy7955

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
I say give in info on the BSOD and allow for custom icons plus maybe a little sound too. Maybe something like The Cure's "Jupiter Crash" LOL

[citation][nom]BSOD man[/nom]It is easy to get a BSOD, install Tom Clancy Rainbow Six Vegas 1 and play for about an hour.It will BSOD regardless of how stable your machine is[/citation]

I have that game and i never got a BSOD on it, so i guess it depends :D.

epdm2be

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011
It's still the same cryptic message. Haven't you really looked at the screenshot. Instead of giving proper erropr messages you get even more BS now. WTF is System_service_exception!! I especially dislike the "you can search for the error online" part! WTF! If your bloody system can't even boot up then how can you search for the goddamn error 'online'!
Doesn't Microsoft realise we want USEFULL error messages. If a module fails tell us WHICH MODULE (the FULL NAME), if a service fails then TELL US WHICH SERVICE not this shit. Can't these morons after 30 years still not create a usefull error message. I don't want smillies and stupid lines like "your PC ran into problems"... Yeah, I see that too, retarded chipmunk! Thank god that soon M$ will be gone, just like those other dinousaurs who make crap every time (like HP etc...)

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
The computer on which I write this once suffered from consistent, reproducible, unavoidable BSODs in Windows 7, whenever I configured it with 16 GB of RAM. 8 GB, OK. 12 GB, 14 GB, not a problem. But if I put in 16, BAM. It was only because of the info provided on the BSOD that I was able to work with the MB manuf to get a BIOS patch (which they wrote for me, because it hadn't existed previously). My eyesight and monitor resolution aren't good enough for me to tell whether the new BSOD contains an equivalent amount of information. But I sure hope so.

falconqc

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2002
Ugh, where is my Hex Error code??? Those "Unfriendly numbers" are pure gold to look up problems. I'm sure I can still find it in the event viewer, but that's an extra step to troubleshoot a problem, and even harder if I ask a client to find that code for me over the phone/e-mail...

chocolatedoughnut

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2011
The average user has no idea how to fix anything when they get a BSOD. They are not going to be able to pick stuff out of the traditional BSOD. They see a bunch of mumbo jumbo. As a matter of fact, for most people their BSOD probably disappears instantly and they will never be able to even see what the error is to anyway. This new page at least gives them something to Google.

G

This isn't nicer.
At least the old screen had some diagnostic information that could help you fix the problem. This does nothing but piss you off.

liveonc

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2008
What's wrong with this dumb? They could write; We could tell you happened, but you wouldn't understand it, nor will it make you feel better because you don't & can't do anything about it...

kronos_cornelius

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
I like how it blames the PC for it. what about Windows ran into a problem that it could not handle ?

I have had BSoD for no apparent reason on Win7. And many more problem with Win7 on a 20GB SSD partition. 20GB is more than enough for Linux.

Status
Not open for further replies.