Windows 8 License Terms

theolah12

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2011
I was looking at getting windows 8 Pro, the system builder addition because I currently need an OS for my build and I was trying to plan for the future but my question is that if i buy the system builder edition of Windows 8 now say when windows 9 or whatever comes out whenever and I just purchase the upgrade (because it is significantly cheaper) will my licence still be under the terms of a system builder that would allow me to change out hardware and such on my build such as the CPU or motherboard?

I have read that I can transfer the system builder to a different computer for personal use but obviously only one PC at a time. But does this still apply if I were to do an upgrade for the next version of windows or would I need to buy another version of the next windows system builder edition? Sorry if the question is confusing tried to explain the best I could.

Solution
G

Yes you can - Under the "Personal Use License" The Windows 8 EULA allows transfers of the OEM version to another computer owned by you or another computer owned by someone else as long as you are the first user and that the original installation is removed.

The only restriction of OEM transfers is on machines with OEM installed by the manufacturer, in which case you have to transfer the whole package, machine and all.

RTEULA - http://personaluselicense.windows.com/en-US/default.aspx

As someone who sells computers I thought...
You can upgrade it to later versions of Windows all you want, but the System Builder/OEM license specifies that you cannot transfer it from machine to machine (i.e. motherboard to motherboard). If you replace the board (unless it fails and the replacement is the same model as the original), you have to buy another license.

G

Yes you can - Under the "Personal Use License" The Windows 8 EULA allows transfers of the OEM version to another computer owned by you or another computer owned by someone else as long as you are the first user and that the original installation is removed.

The only restriction of OEM transfers is on machines with OEM installed by the manufacturer, in which case you have to transfer the whole package, machine and all.

RTEULA - http://personaluselicense.windows.com/en-US/default.aspx

As someone who sells computers I thought you would be better informed than it appears.

@ The OP, yes you're correct you are now allowed to transfer the OEM versions under certain circumstances. As for the next version of Windows - who knows, who expected them to make the changes to the EULA that they have for 8.

IMO this is long overdue, the previous restrictions were nothing short of blatant profiteering.

Solution

ram1009

Distinguished
Nobody on this board (or anywhere else) can tell you today what license terms Microsoft will impose on their next OS. If you do a little reading you'll see everybody struggling to interpret the current license and not doing well. I believe that's the way Microsoft likes it.

Licensing terms for their next OS don't concern us right now. Terms for Windows 8 do. The link was provided above, so we can interpret them all we like, much to the enjoyment of Microsoft's legal teams apparently ;)

G

I don't see what's open to interpretation as far as the transfer rights is concerned, it seems pretty clear to me, and in general the 8 EULA is a lot easier to read/comprehend than previous OS agreements.

Try reading a Select Agreement :eek:

I don't see what's open to interpretation as far as the transfer rights is concerned, it seems pretty clear to me, and in general the 8 EULA is a lot easier to read/comprehend than previous OS agreements.

Try reading a Select Agreement :eek:

Sorry... I was refering to the document as a whole, and was also taking a small poke at Microsoft's legal team. You are correct though, the transfer rights are definitely much clearer than before. Won't get any complaints here either... the clearer they can spell out the license terms, the easier it is on all of their customers.