Windows 8 or 7

7 is more stable right now... as it's a more mature OS. Stability is key for overclocking.

some benches show a half FPS advantage to win8 in gaming. Win8 is a little bit lighter on system resources then win7, so it will, when it's small instabilities are ironed out probably be a slightly better gaming platform (of course i'm pretty much convinced 95% of that improved efficiency came with eliminating Aero)

At this point W7 is going to be the way to go. With W8 you will always have a small niggle that any issue you may come across could be down to W8.
Along with Stability and maturity you get a much much larger user base to draw from for help and advice with W7.

Mactronix :)

deerhunter113

Honorable
May 26, 2013

I'll just get win7 then, thanks.

anxiousinfusion

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011

Simply by the virtue of being the newest platform means that game development will have Windows 8 in mind. Windows 8.1 will further reduce recourse usage and with the benchmarks I've seen, current Windows 8 appears to average 1 FPS over Windows 7.

OP, if your sole purpose of getting Windows is for gaming just install Windows 8 and keep your fingers crossed for 8.1.