Windows 8 Sales 'Well Below' Projections For Microsoft

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nameon

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
people a bunch of idiots, fresh install of windows 8 works off the bat while fresh install windows 7 is like a train-wreck without manually installing drivers, windows 8 is much more resource efficient as well.
Also i was amazed when i saw this my bro has custom built pc similar parts to mine, but he has an SSD with win7, while i got a HDD with win8,

WIN8 BOOTS FROM A HDD AS FAST AS WIN7 ON AN SSD!!! beat that...

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
Our storefront has been having difficulty getting touchscreens for desktops, even all-in-ones are rare now. Win8 tablets are also sold out. I think it has more to do with availability of the required products. Nobody wants Win8 without a touch screen and that's what we tell our customers.

G

for £24.99 online download for each pc which I got 2 pc's and 1 laptop running windows 8 had probs with one pc (intel e8400) blue screening although since I stop using that pc on windows 8 app store its been fine, don't ask me why cos I don't know ? nore do I care as the apps don't ring my bell so no lose there.. 24.99 lol at that price I don't care what anyone says, because I can get on with it fine and so can my six year old daughter lol so I don't have an issue with change, found it enjoyable learning the new interface, rather than throw a tantrum because it's changed lol more important things in life than being worried about a poxy start bar lol

Sales are bad when Microsoft is virtually giving it away at $15 for the upgrade version. That shows you how bad it is (or peoples perception of how bad it is). Windows 8 can be made tolerable with Classic shell which as well as giving you a start button enables you to boot into the desktop so you don't need to see Metro and lets you turn Aero back on.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
[citation][nom]nameon[/nom]people a bunch of idiots, fresh install of windows 8 works off the bat while fresh install windows 7 is like a train-wreck without manually installing drivers, windows 8 is much more resource efficient as well.Also i was amazed when i saw this my bro has custom built pc similar parts to mine, but he has an SSD with win7, while i got a HDD with win8, WIN8 BOOTS FROM A HDD AS FAST AS WIN7 ON AN SSD!!! beat that...[/citation]haters got sooo much hate that they think $15 for a fresh copy of win8 is wrong. (the first few days of tat offer u dont need a copy of windows to get the promotion)

Hey I didnt own win7. $15 per copy is a sweet deal I cannot pass that. especially I wanna get rid of my Vista.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
"Lackluster PC maker designs and availability." Are you kidding me?! I want this guy to define exactly what would constitute a non-lackluster design. An Apple device? Asus has been making solid laptops and Samsung has been all over the tablet space. They're both doing so good with their designs that Apple is going crazy trying to sue. Hardware is not the problem aside from some of those machines that won't let you turn off secure boot and install a different OS.

The real thing with the lackluster design is Windows 8. Stop making me mouse all over the place, click a dozen times, and go hunting for things I want to do! Stop hiding things inside a metro tile that goes to a desktop window that opens a metro app! This is the type of insanity that made me hate using Vista over XP. It took twice as many clicks and quite a bit of hunting just to connect to a network. 7 improved that task and now 8 has made it more painful again. Stop hiding or omitting customization options too. Stop trying to block me from changing the login screen background or the start screen background. The design of Windows 8 is terrible and constantly gets in my way! The OEMs aren't causing this problem -- Microsoft is!

Windows 8 is fat and complicated just like Vista was. Microsoft needs to get back to minimizing, streamlining, and refining the experience of using windows inside Windows. Don't force me to ditch my desktop in favor of an iOS-like limited tablet.

Stevemeister

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2006
Let's see - Windows 2000 Fail, Windows XP Great, Windows Vista Fail, Windows 7 Great . . . . is there a pattern here?

People get used to their OS's and unless the newest OS offers something noticeably better there is no real incentive to change. Windows 7 works great, Windows 8 may be good also but its not so overwhelmingly better that I would part with cash for it nor do I want to have to re-learn where everything is (time is money). Windows 7 is not that old and it's like a car - you don't buy a new one every 4 years unless you have money to waste. Most OS's will run well for 6-7 years before users decide they need to upgrade so don't expect too much until Windows 9.

madjimms

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
[citation][nom]Wamphryi[/nom]I want to see the return of Aero as well. Even the most budget GPU's can drive Aero and the look of Win 8 and Office 13 is so bland.[/citation]
I like Aero also, but I also enjoy the classic Windows 98/95 gray environment, Its my favorite.

G

"especially I wanna get rid of my Vista." Yes you want to trade Crappy Vista for Crappy Win 8. Soon M$ will offer Windows 8 for free, but still the desktop users will not bite, beacuse $00.00 bucks verses the potential
for so much lost productivity does not add up! You could not pay me to take that Tablet OS/App store sales outlet GUI, and inflict, on my daily desktop useage, the lost productivity!

G

Man the peeling lead paint eaters are out in out in mass tonight! M$ has scraped the bottom of the barrel for it Spinions tonight!

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
As I have said before and elsewhere, by far, the biggest user community is the business world. The business world just finished upgrading from whatever to 7 - at, I expect, no small expense. At this point, it is unwise to assume that just because M$ and whoever else sees 8 as the next best thing to sliced bread that the business world will follow suit, and upgrade.

Without the buy-in of the business world, 8 is doomed to fail in the market place - as I see it. I think it was completely unwise for M$ to assume that the business world is lined with M$ lemmings and would fall, lock-step, into line.

The business world will likely be able to justify the expense of another upgrade with 9 or later, however, I highly doubt it will be before that especially since there are reports of people in the business world being less productive with the 8 UI.

8 may end up being the biggest fail since Vista and may even exceed Vista in the fail department.

hella-d

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
Ive had no problems whatsoever with windows 8, all but one of my applications work (an old game, who cares) and i dont find it confusing, but definetily different

davewolfgang

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
It's a wonder why they didn't see this coming when they first "forced" users to only use Metro "because 90% of the Beta testers were disabling it".........??!?!?!?!???!??

And they trying to "explain" it away by saying the really wanted to "test" Metro.

You'd think the Marketing guru's would've jump right in and said....Hey you IDIOTS - 90% of the potential FIRST buyers don't like this.....Maybe....JUST Maybe we should at least make it optional, instead of mandatory.....maybe....?????

Let's put the gear shifter in the middle of the steering wheel....

Let's change the ingredients of this famous soft drink and call it "New"!!

Shall I go on???

G

Even Clippy the paperclip finds the windows 8 metro/modern UI irritating! Clippy " sometmes the Metro/modern UI just pops up for no particular reason like now when I am trying to use the desktop!"

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
[citation][nom]davewolfgang[/nom]You'd think the Marketing guru's would've jump right in and said....Hey you IDIOTS - 90% of the potential FIRST buyers don't like this.....Maybe....JUST Maybe we should at least make it optional, instead of mandatory.....maybe....?????[/citation]
That's what tends to really bother me about software development these days. Everyone is so focused on preserving what works. Everyone wants to build off of shaky bases and not discard what already has been done. Developers and managers at large companies are so terrified of reinventing the wheel that they never ask themselves how round and functional that wheel really is.

I really hope we start seeing leaks from Microsoft that talk about ideas that were proposed beside Metro. Car makers like to float concept art and concept cars to see how people react. Microsoft must have internally had the same thing. Unfortunately, they just picked an idea and went with it rather than feeling out for their audience. Microsoft could learn a lot from the car industry when they move to Windows 9.

izmanq

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
a lot of user complained about the stupid user interface in the preview, but they just don't want to listen, it's i told you so moment now :D

twelve25

Distinguished

This just makes me chuckle because if there is any OS that changes the look of the GUI every major release, it is the linux variants. And if You just want something that works with no fuss, it's NOT Linux! :lol:

twelve25

Distinguished
@chewy1963

No, you don't get it. It might not quicken productivity for you, but it does for me. You don't have to use the apps if you don't want to, but for me checking the weather or getting a quick update on some news headlines is faster than ever and I can do that quickly and get back to what I was doing instead of checking 10 different websites to get a good variety of news sources or the weather. .

They had that with widgets on Vista and 99/100 users quickly turned them off! Heck, they had that with Active Desktop of 98 SE! :p

twelve25

Distinguished

You just described an Apple! But then we all complain that when you buy an Apple, you can customize the hardware like you want, the options are limited and it costs too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.