Windows 8 Surfaces in NDA Presentation

Status
Not open for further replies.

tim sutton

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010
I'd hate to appear all conservative republican and scared of change or anything, but do we actually need Windows 8 anytime soon? I genuinely enjoy using Windows 7 :/

I'm sure there are valid reasons for upgrading in 12 months time, but I don't know what they are. Help me out, people.

imrul

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2007
if 7 hasnt given u problems, u probably wont upgrade til after 8 is out for 6 months to a year... early buyers would be manufacturers and those building a new system...

joelmartinez

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
I'll upgrade to 8 if it's significantly better, or at least a bit better, actually I'll definitely upgrade to 8 I can probably get a real cheap professional copy from a university friend

Alsone

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2006
Cloud is the 1 reason that will ever stop me upgrading from Windows 7.

I'm simply not willing to store data or share my pc over the net.

96stangman

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]Guys you need to remember Windows 8 is designed for ARM systems primarily.I don't think it will work on x86 processors.[/citation]
It has support for ARM that doesn't mean it wont work with x86.

descendency

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]tim sutton[/nom]I'd hate to appear all conservative republican and scared of change or anything, but do we actually need Windows 8 anytime soon? I genuinely enjoy using Windows 7 I'm sure there are valid reasons for upgrading in 12 months time, but I don't know what they are. Help me out, people.[/citation]

If you saw how many security issues an OS has 3 months after launch let alone 3 years, you would beg for it to be here tomorrow.

rohitbaran

Distinguished
[citation][nom]Alsone[/nom]Cloud is the 1 reason that will ever stop me upgrading from Windows 7.I'm simply not willing to store data or share my pc over the net.[/citation]
Windows 7 does feature cloud computing.

gto127

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
I really wish MS had been broken up in late 90 like they were supposed to be when found guilty by DOJ of monopolostic behavior. Win 8 is just so MS can make more $. Considering how much OS cost we should get a min of 5 years worth of cutting edge features through free upgrades or service packs before something new comes out.

tim sutton

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010
[citation][nom]descendency[/nom]If you saw how many security issues an OS has 3 months after launch let alone 3 years, you would beg for it to be here tomorrow.[/citation]

OK, but (and correct me if I'm wrong) won't Windows 8 then have it's own problems 3 months after launch?

Personally I'd far rather MS had spent the last 3 years making service packs for 7 to patch any holes and flaws instead of building a whole new OS. Which I certainly don't need or want.

SchizoFrog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
[citation][nom]imrul[/nom]if 7 hasnt given u problems, u probably wont upgrade til after 8 is out for 6 months to a year... early buyers would be manufacturers and those building a new system...[/citation]
From experience of XP users as an example, if people haven't had issues once they went to 7 then I doubt people will really feel the need to pay out again for an OS until at least 9 maybe even version 10 or 11 is out. UNLESS there is a fundamental change that would require it.

Hatecrime69

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2008
[citation][nom]schizofrog[/nom]From experience of XP users as an example, if people haven't had issues once they went to 7 then I doubt people will really feel the need to pay out again for an OS until at least 9 maybe even version 10 or 11 is out. UNLESS there is a fundamental change that would require it.[/citation]

*cough*dx10*cough*

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]tim sutton[/nom]OK, but (and correct me if I'm wrong) won't Windows 8 then have it's own problems 3 months after launch? Personally I'd far rather MS had spent the last 3 years making service packs for 7 to patch any holes and flaws instead of building a whole new OS. Which I certainly don't need or want.[/citation]
They are making SP for 7 and have been releasing patches the whole time, and do you think they have just one team of coders so can only do one thing at a time or something? They most likely have teams on 7, teams working on finishing up 8 and teams working on the Pre-Alpha Windows 9 already. Companies can multitask pretty well :p

SchizoFrog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
[citation][nom]Hatecrime69[/nom]*cough*dx10*cough*[/citation]
If you are suggesting that DX10 was a reason to upgrade then you could not be more wrong and it was actually a mian reason why a lot of people did NOT upgrade to Vista. Considering that nearly ALL games are coded these days for consoles first and then get a thin layer of effects over the top for PC, neither DX10 or DX11 is actually a mssive improvement when it comes to games.

Hopefully the next gen cosoles will have GPU hardware that is programmable so it can be updated to understand and use future API packages. Then maybe we won't have the issues we currently have with consoles holding back game developement due to outdated hardware.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]nativeson8803[/nom]What is an M2 release?[/citation]

Milestone 2... Software projects are done by Milestones, which are major points in development.

[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]Guys you need to remember Windows 8 is designed for ARM systems primarily.I don't think it will work on x86 processors.[/citation]

Windows8 is not designed primarily for ARM systems. Windows8 started development before any desktop capable ARM processor was even conceived. Microsoft would lose money by releasing an ARM only Windows version...or any software without x86 or x86-64 support.... Currently ARM has no share of the desktop/mobile computing market....and adoption will take time. No reason to release a product for a market that doesn't exist, especially when there's no set timeframe on products intended to realize said market to be released.

G

They're also talking about an internet user ID logon for Windows 8, as well as a cloud profile, reminiscent of how Microsoft's Active Directory is used in corporate settings.

Active Directory is their flagship network security database for servers, it has severe scalability problems beyond 1500/5000/10000 users(depending on what you're doing), as well as generally being an ill-conceived, outdated and inefficient standard. God have mercy on all of us if they based their cloud tech on Active Directory.

Status
Not open for further replies.