Windows 8 Tablets Delayed, Atom Testing Blamed

Status
Not open for further replies.

velosteraptor

Honorable
Jul 20, 2012
Dell's Latitude 10 will not be available until January 22 - instead of a targeted launch date of December 2012 - and consumers can currently order the base model for $649, down from a "market value price" of $927

Really?.. They think that its worth that much money for the base model? they are absolutely crazy.

G

Something else is going on here, since when do Intel or especially Microsoft delay shipping something because the drivers are complete crap and it crashes? Every Microsoft OS ever released was was a BSOD-fest for the first year except for 7, and that was only because it was little more than a fixed version of Vista. Even XP was completely unstable until SP1 was released.

twelve25

Distinguished
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]Like anyone's gonna buy them. Touchscreen netbooks that cost more than proper laptops.[/citation]

Didn't you just describe the iPad?

G

Not sure why people are saying the HP Envy X2 is delayed... I purchased on last weekend here in NZ... from what I've heard NZ has received at least 50-300 units

r3dl1n3

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
I just picked up the Acer W510 Yesterday..
Say what you like but it's a tablet with no compromise..
Forget iPad, Android.... This thing has everything even a USB port.. which actually is Micro USB but they give you the converter cable free.
I also got the keyboard dock with it..
18 Hours of battery life.. and a Full version of Windows..
Pfft.. once these hit the market full force and prices start to drop.. why would you even consider an iPad of Android Tablet..
It's even thinner and lighter than my Surface RT.

G

I'm also one of these "anyones" that bought one of these Atom Winwows 8 tablets, and so far, apart from pressure sensitivity not working yet in Photoshop, I'm very impressed with this tablet, the Asus Vivotab. It has provided me the smoothest and snappiest Windows experience ever, beats my 3ghz quad core Windows 7 desktop. I just hope some drivers to be released soon that fixes the pressure sensitivity and some other glitches, like sound disabling after suspension.

jerm1027

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011
[citation][nom]r3dl1n3[/nom]I just picked up the Acer W510 Yesterday..Say what you like but it's a tablet with no compromise..Forget iPad, Android.... This thing has everything even a USB port.. which actually is Micro USB but they give you the converter cable free.I also got the keyboard dock with it..18 Hours of battery life.. and a Full version of Windows..Pfft.. once these hit the market full force and prices start to drop.. why would you even consider an iPad of Android Tablet..It's even thinner and lighter than my Surface RT.[/citation]
The Linux Kernel just started to support ARM architecture natively, which means no more emulation for Android, which means performance and battery boost. The Asus Transformer has already had USB host (full USB I might add) and 19 hours battery life for quite some time. There are also other models that support USB hosting, and full x86 versions of Linux are already being ported to the Nexus 7. I do think a Windows 8 (x86_64) hybrid tablet is very enticing, but it would have to have a hell of a price drop, especially considering how cheap Android devices are.

tearsana

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
[citation][nom]r3dl1n3[/nom]I just picked up the Acer W510 Yesterday..Say what you like but it's a tablet with no compromise..Forget iPad, Android.... This thing has everything even a USB port.. which actually is Micro USB but they give you the converter cable free.I also got the keyboard dock with it..18 Hours of battery life.. and a Full version of Windows..Pfft.. once these hit the market full force and prices start to drop.. why would you even consider an iPad of Android Tablet..It's even thinner and lighter than my Surface RT.[/citation]
why do you need so many windows tablets?

r3dl1n3

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
[citation][nom]tearsana[/nom]why do you need so many windows tablets?[/citation]
I run an IT consulting business that supports many different platforms. with the current state of BYOD (bring your own device) in the work place I have to certify a lot of different products. I also have Androd and several iPads.. most of them just sit around waiting for the next test or user configuration error..

r3dl1n3

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
[citation][nom]jerm1027[/nom]The Linux Kernel just started to support ARM architecture natively, which means no more emulation for Android, which means performance and battery boost. The Asus Transformer has already had USB host (full USB I might add) and 19 hours battery life for quite some time. There are also other models that support USB hosting, and full x86 versions of Linux are already being ported to the Nexus 7. I do think a Windows 8 (x86_64) hybrid tablet is very enticing, but it would have to have a hell of a price drop, especially considering how cheap Android devices are.[/citation]

My point was not to say that there isn't any other tables that have USB or 19 hours battery life. It was to highlight that this is the first Windows series of Tablets that offer not only Battery life and functionality to rival the others... but the one thing missing from tablets to date.. A system of no compromise.. with android I have to compromise.. With IOS I have to compromise. with Windows RT I have to compromise.. but with a tablet running Windows 8, there is no compromise.. it is everything the others have and misses nothing.. from Direct attachment to printers to running every piece of software created for windows, you can attach almost every USB peripheral you can think of. I haven't been able to find one piece of software / Hardware I couldn't run on Windows 8 even applications that were almost 10 years old..
Why wouldn't you want a full OS on a tablet if it offers the same performance and battery life?
As for cost.. launch devices are always typically High.. I remember buying my First Asus android tablet for almost 600. the price will come down and the market will get saturated with devices for almost every price point.
Again because I needed it, I had no problem spending 749 on the W510.. the 650 for the Surface RT and touch keyboard hurt more (needs more apps). What I love about the surface is the kickstand.. believe it or not I think it is one of the best features of the unit just based on functionality.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]No, people are buying iPads.[/citation]
More netbooks are sold than iPads, just seems like more iPads cos they all come from the same manufacturer

G

I bought the ASUS Vivo Tab and it's pretty incredible. Thinner than an iPad, except it's an actual computer capable of *doing things*.

I'm getting driver issues, and I believe ASUS is to blame. Samsung's lineup have gotten updates a few days ago.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]More netbooks are sold than iPads, just seems like more iPads cos they all come from the same manufacturer[/citation]

I hope you're not saying that iPad's are not wildly successful. So far 100 million iPads were sold, and yes, that's from one manufacturer, at healthy margins, with additional app purchases. Any netbook/notebook/console/Ultrabook (ha ha fail) OEM would sell their own children for iPad numbers. Microsoft ruined their desktop OS hoping to get a piece of the pie (ha ha fail), Google is selling equivalent or superior devices at close to cost in order to keep up (makes sense in their business model), so saying anything other than iPad is wildly successful is just being obtuse.

r3dl1n3

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]I hope you're not saying that iPad's are not wildly successful. So far 100 million iPads were sold, and yes, that's from one manufacturer, at healthy margins, with additional app purchases. Any netbook/notebook/console/Ultrabook (ha ha fail) OEM would sell their own children for iPad numbers. Microsoft ruined their desktop OS hoping to get a piece of the pie (ha ha fail), Google is selling equivalent or superior devices at close to cost in order to keep up (makes sense in their business model), so saying anything other than iPad is wildly successful is just being obtuse.[/citation]

@killerclick LOL are to stupid to figure out a few changes.. and get over the OMG they took away the start button? Properly setup, the start screen can be faster to use than the start menu ever was..Lets say I want to start Photoshop and Filezilla and dreamweaver.. I could already have the icons pinned to the taskbar.. but I like to keep it clean.. anyways.. with the new metro interface it's easy.. press the winkey on the keyboard, click the program I want to start (not exactly rocket scienc, you couldn't figure that out?).. I've grouped all my used Tiles on the start screen, Labeled them and organised them the way I want.. I find this to be better than the start menu ever was..
The old way.. click start button.. hope that photoshop is in the frequently used list.. if not click all programs, search for Adobe, click photoshop folder, click photoshop icon..

Plus while working in the desktop mode.. if I want a powerful menu to start CMD, Control Pannel, Programs and features and plethora of other admin tasks..
All I have to do is move my mouse to where the start button used to be and Right Click.. up comes a menu that is more powerfull than the start menu ever was for doing admin tasks..

So with two simple changes I am even more productive than I was with Windows 7.. I guess those two little things were to much for you to figure out.

Want to close an open Metro App.. Move mouse to the top left and move down.. all your running apps are displayed for you. Righy click close..

Yeah Windows 8 is real hard to use.. Nice Fail dude.. Nice Fail

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]I hope you're not saying that iPad's are not wildly successful. So far 100 million iPads were sold, and yes, that's from one manufacturer, at healthy margins, with additional app purchases. Any netbook/notebook/console/Ultrabook (ha ha fail) OEM would sell their own children for iPad numbers. Microsoft ruined their desktop OS hoping to get a piece of the pie (ha ha fail), Google is selling equivalent or superior devices at close to cost in order to keep up (makes sense in their business model), so saying anything other than iPad is wildly successful is just being obtuse.[/citation]
Well, seeing as I actually do research, I am pretty sure I know how many iPads have been sold and 100 million is a pretty groovy number, but I didn't say EeePC or Mininote, I said Netbooks - over 120 million sold, I also didn't say anything about margins, app sales, OS or any other factor - and seeing as you brought up notebooks too they still ship over 200 million units a year
Before you fly into an Apple-tard frenzy, read my post properrly and do some research

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]r3dl1n3[/nom]@killerclick LOL are to stupid to figure out a few changes.. and get over the OMG they took away the start button?[/citation]

This is all I read of your post. Enjoy your Windows 8 with its 2% market share. It failed, Windows tablets failed and Windows phones failed, so no need to even pay attention to stupid MS fanboys. Have fun with your niche gadgets.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Well, seeing as I actually do research, I am pretty sure I know how many iPads have been sold and 100 million is a pretty groovy number, but I didn't say EeePC or Mininote, I said Netbooks - over 120 million sold, I also didn't say anything about margins, app sales, OS or any other factor - and seeing as you brought up notebooks too they still ship over 200 million units a year...Before you fly into an Apple-tard frenzy, read my post properrly and do some research[/citation]

Yeah, but netbooks have been available since what? 2008? Also, 100 million iPads vs 120 million all-netbooks-combined-from-all-OEMs? Also the iPad is less functional and more expensive and it still sold almost as many (~80%) in half the time? It sold more than the Xbox did in 7 years, not to mention every Windows tablet combined since 2002.

If you can't admit the iPad is a stunning success the likes of Microsoft, Asus, Acer, HP and Dell can only dream about, then that's your fanboyism getting in the way of actual, real world data. Reality distortion field is not an Apple thing, it's a fanboy thing.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Ok, this is why i dislike Wolfgang's articles, usually anti-Intel for no other reason than incomplete research. Anand Tech's already put out a review for the Acer, and the Samsung ATIV Smart PC is out too, they have a review for that too.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6522/the-clover-trail-atom-z2760-review-acers-w510-tested

A little over a month later and things are beginning to change. Contrary to popular belief, driver problems aren’t what kept the first Atom Windows 8 tablets out of the market at launch. A bug (not related to power management) caught several months ago caused schedules to slip by about a month and a half. Depending on whose design the OEM followed (Intel’s or their own), the implementation of the fix could come quickly or would take a bit longer. In this case, Acer and Samsung found themselves on the right side of the fence. We’ve had Atom based Windows 8 tablets from both companies for weeks now. Vivek is working on our review of the Samsung ATIV Smart PC, while I’ll kick things off with Acer’s Iconia W510.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS