Windows 8 to Feature New OEM Activation Method

Status
Not open for further replies.
I Imagine that KMS/Rearm exploits (which are almost impossible to block) will be the first methods released, followed by hacked .dll files associated with Genuine verification a it later. My guess is a "working" pirated Win8 will be available by the end of this month.

tiang

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
Should be short period of time to get the activation method. Wait and see for the miracle from the mighty hackers.

[citation][nom]DarkenMoon97[/nom]I thought that PC's didn't use the same key before..[/citation]
Before they had a much simpler approach of selling a single key to the OEM. The OEM would then purchase COAs from MS that they would affix to the case of the computer, and would be used to register and track changes over time and piracy.
This new system sounds like they will get a box of generic stickers instead of COAs, and instead of having a separate licence, activation key, and COA number, there will simply be a single # that is digitally purchased and assigned to the box which will then track the box throughout the life-cycle of the machine. This is perfectly fine for OEMs, and should actually make their jobs a little simpler on the logistics side of inventory and orders, while making the setup side a little harder. For MS this means that it will be much easier to track individual boxes, and their hardware changes over time, and if they get cash hungry then they can crack down on reactivation after upgrades and such (something that up until now they have been fairly generous with).

I really wonder how this will work for refurbishers like the company I work for. We take old computers, and MS gives us an extremely generous discount so that we can put a fresh legal copy of Windows on the machine that is tied to us (instead of the OEM such as Dell, HP, etc.). For some machines we are just putting XP back on them, while other higher-end XP and Vista boxes are getting Win7 instead. I am sure that MS will still have some form of vehicle for us to be able to provide the service that we do, but when win8 boxes start coming our way, I wonder if we will be forced then to re-use the same OS, or if we will be able to 'downgrade' to win7.
Personally I like win8 a lot, but the user base that we work with are quite computer illiterate and have a very difficult time moving from XP to 7 (which is essentially the same thing when it comes to web browsing and program launching). Moving from XP to 8 would be... traumatic at best. But time will tell, and I suppose this is what we have training classes for...

G

The first few BIOS updates will overwrite the unique product key screwing over the consumer royally.

Then there will be malware/scareware that will overwrite the key and popup a screen saying you need to pay so much to restore.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
Another reason to not get Windows 8.

The article only talks about OEM as on when someone buys a pre built system, but but says nothing about
the actual OEM copy of Windows 8. A huge problem about this method is that every time that a customer press the CLEAR BIOS button it will render the BIOS back to default.

Example: while overclocking .... oh didn't work, lets try again.... etc... so when the customer finally gets back to Windows 8, will he have to REGISTER again?

This method also apparently assumes that the customers will never upgrade their systems.

Not that I care about this OS at all, but this is just unnecessary.

Um... who said anything about BIOS? I mean, yes, it will be tied to BIOS (UEFI really) for the ARM devices, but the code is not kept inside of the UEFI itself. UEFI simply says 'this machine is for windows8' and then the win8 will have a code saying 'this machine requires UEFI to be a win8 device'.

For x86, it will be more of the traditional way of hardware hash, and product registration, much like it has been sense winXP. It is only OEMs that are affected.

G

I haven't figured out how yet, but I'm sure this somehow further screws us system administrators...

As if Windows 7's sysprep wasn't bad enough. It seems like every new version of Windows Microsoft continues to ignore their corporate IT people and give us more and more BS that we have to work through to get our stuff to work right. With every new activation scheme I start thinking more and more about moving our systems to Linux. Especially since many of our programs are slowly being converted to web based formats...

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Well, it looks like meant to help OEMs streamline their Win8 process...
But doesn't appear that it will do anything against piracy, simply because there will be end user copies of Win8 being sold that will not adhere to the tight coupling to the Bios...

But they can dream right?

Movieman420

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2008
And the hit-miss cycle continues...

Windows 98SE - Miss
Windows 2000 - Hit
Windows ME - Miss
Windows XP - Hit
Windows Vista - BIG Miss
Windows 7 - BIG Hit

Oh and you can bet that Daz and all the other crackers won't stop till they get it. Windows is the crown jewel of the cracking world ofc.

shafe88

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
Wouldn't it be easier and better in stead of using a key in the bios to just use the motherboards model and serial# to activate windows. Like the motherboards model and serial# is imbedded in that copy windows, that way windows is locked to that computer.

The much more important question is whether Microsoft will officially allow people to install OEM Windows 8 on homebuilt systems, something that isn't allowed with Windows 7. If so, that could speed the adoption of Windows 8 among enthusiast a LOT, if the huge price difference between OEM and retail versions remains.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
Who downloads a pirated copy of windows. The risk is just too high. You are trusting a copy that is modified by someone you don't know. this means that the OS can be precompromised along with the crack, thus ensuring that some random person will have access to your bank account.

Provided a OS will have a long support cycle, spending $100 on an OS is no issue, and if microsoft plans to reduce the price of newer versions of windows, then tat is even less of a reason to make activation harder.

The worst possible infection is one that is active at some of the earliest states of the boot as they can then easily avoid detection and really ruin your day. You can get a cracked app but never a cracked OS

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
[citation][nom]shafe88[/nom]Wouldn't it be easier and better in stead of using a key in the bios to just use the motherboards model and serial# to activate windows. Like the motherboards model and serial# is imbedded in that copy windows, that way windows is locked to that computer.[/citation]

you can't be serious.
many users (myself) included upgrade our system from time to time, but occasionally this upgrade includes to switch / upgrade the motherboard and therefor every other component as well.

this means that I have to re install the OS and programs/games etc...
(this usually also means one cal to M$)

there are many LEGIT reasons to do this, and the customer should NEVER be penalize for it.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
[citation][nom]Sakkura[/nom]The much more important question is whether Microsoft will officially allow people to install OEM Windows 8 on homebuilt systems, something that isn't allowed with Windows 7. If so, that could speed the adoption of Windows 8 among enthusiast a LOT, if the huge price difference between OEM and retail versions remains.[/citation]

Huh?
I always buy OEM, NEVER EVER buy the shiny box.
I have done this since Windows 95 days, not sure where you got the idea that Windows 7 OEM "can't be installed" on home built systems.

Ask anyone here on Tom's.

[citation][nom]drwho1[/nom]Huh?I always buy OEM, NEVER EVER buy the shiny box.I have done this since Windows 95 days, not sure where you got the idea that Windows 7 OEM "can't be installed" on home built systems.Ask anyone here on Tom's.[/citation]
Microsoft's terms are pretty clear - you're not allowed to install an OEM version of Windows 7 on a computer you build for yourself or your family or friends. Only if you sell it. Yes, it's retarded, which is why I hope they'll change it back to the way it was before Win 7.

Must be preinstalled on a PC and sold to another unrelated party.
Must be preinstalled onto a new PC using the OPK. See details.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
whatever, all i want is a system that works out of the box and that will allow me to reinstall using the recovery disks if required

Cryio

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
Well, I find myself in a strange position now. I installed the RTM 2 days ago, and I must say, I adore the Aero-less look of the interface.

And the activation prompt is less nagging than before. It's just an almost transparent sign in the lower right corner of the screen. You may not even see it.

As for the activation, seeing as the trial isn't limited to 30 days, and it comes with 1000 rearms, I'm sure a crack/loader will be available 'till this version expires ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.