Windows 8 to Have 3 R's: Recovery, Reset, Restore

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]wotan31[/nom]Surely you are joking. Linux and OSX can do far more than Windows can even dream of. Windows is for Word and Excel. It's for clerical business people and secretaries. UNIX is where the real computing gets done. It's the platform of Hollywood movie editing and post-production effects. It's the platform of CAD and Engineering work. It's the platform of Microprocessor design. It's the platform of chemical and pharmaceutical engineering and simulations, weather prediction, nuclear research, etc. etc. What does Windows do? Office and some games that kids play. As for reboots, we have linux servers at work that haven't been rebooted since 2008. We have HP-UX and AIX servers that haven't been rebooted since 2005. Sorry, you lose.[/citation]

We are talking about desktops here...

RabidFace

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
I for one would LOVE this feature.

I am a person who likes to start fresh a couple times a year. Sometimes it's once a year. Am using XP, took Vista off my laptop.

But, if the feature actually does what it implies, it's like a fresh install, but keeps your files. But I wonder what the total time is to complete the process. If it's 30 minutes, then it seems like it would be worth it. But of it's an hour or more, I would rather just backup my files to my external HDD, format my computer, and install Windows.

Only time will tell whether this feature is going to be worth it, and look forward to it.

G

this feature present in windows 7.

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Recovery\Advanced Recovery Methods

edilee

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
[citation][nom]gti88[/nom]Acronis True Image is better choice. You can backup your fresh system disk before and after all programs are installed.Then, you can reinstall an image within 30 minutes.[/citation]

This feature is built into Vista and Win7 as well in the backup/restore section under "create a system image". I do this once all my programs are installed and everything is the way I want it. Only catch is having a second hard drive that you use for storage is the best option for this method since the image will be fairly large for some folks and I believe Blu Ray is another good option for this as well...DVD's would take too many disks.

G-Systems

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
[citation][nom]Marco925[/nom]Is that an app store I see? Oh my... is this the end of running my own programmes on windows?[/citation]

Probably not...but it is definitely an incentive for the "non-techy" not to run programs outside of the app store. I still prefer this method of approach over Apple's controlling architecture.

The feature seems promising and in the direction of making more simple, user friendly pieces of software that "Just works"... In addition, providing tools and access to people like me who want to get in and get dirty...:)

If WP7 seamlessly operates with OS and Cloud (like Android), Apple is going to have a serious problem in the coming years...

trekker9876

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2006
Surely you are joking. Linux and OSX can do far more than Windows can even dream of. Windows is for Word and Excel. It's for clerical business people and secretaries. UNIX is where the real computing gets done. It's the platform of Hollywood movie editing and post-production effects. It's the platform of CAD and Engineering work. It's the platform of Microprocessor design. It's the platform of chemical and pharmaceutical engineering and simulations, weather prediction, nuclear research, etc. etc. What does Windows do? Office and some games that kids play. As for reboots, we have linux servers at work that haven't been rebooted since 2008. We have HP-UX and AIX servers that haven't been rebooted since 2005. Sorry, you lose.

Your the idiot. big deal no reboots in 2 years.. so? HP, big loser.
Try playing a real game on them, you lose! try using new equipment on your machines... u lose!

Status
Not open for further replies.