Question Windows acting weird with highlighting and not letting me click on the windows I want. Also BSOD on update attempts

Rykuu Disaga

Distinguished
May 17, 2014
So this has been going on for awhile now and I cannot figure out what is wrong. When I try to click into a chrome window by hovering over the chrome icon on the taskbar, it will do this flicker thing and then refuse to bring up the window I click when I manage to click it: (sorry, won't let me post the Gyazo link properly) link

Also, it will have random things highlighted, as if I had the program open and tabbed to select it:

link2

It's making daily tasks kinda difficult especially when I am doing a lot of things at once with multiple programs and chrome windows open. Anyone know what is going on?

Also, as a side note, may or may not be related to the issue as well, when I try to update my windows, it will always blue screen in the process. I've backed up to a previous restore point, completely deleted the update from the computer and redownloaded it, and safe boot. I tried a few other things too, but I cannot remember what they are atm. I would like to avoid doing a reinstall of windows as I don't want to go through installing all the programs it will delete. If anyone has any ideas as to this as well, I'd greatly appreciate it!

<mod edit: links fixed, that was odd>

Last edited by a moderator:

Colif

Win 11 Master
I edited the links, they should work now.

Have you tried a clean boot to see if it behaves same way?

Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

What versions of win 10 are you on?
right click start
choose run..
type winver and press enter
current versions are 1803, 1809 & 1903

What are specs of PC?

Rykuu Disaga

Distinguished
May 17, 2014
I edited the links, they should work now.

Have you tried a clean boot to see if it behaves same way?

Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

What versions of win 10 are you on?
right click start
choose run..
type winver and press enter
current versions are 1803, 1809 & 1903

What are specs of PC?

My apologies, I meant clean boot when I said safe boot! But yes, I tried that a couple of times to make sure I did it right and it will still BSOD. My version is 1809.

Colif

Win 11 Master
so what is it like in safe mode then?

have you tried updating gpu drivers?

don't suppose you remember what BSOD you get? there are about 280 codes so its hard to guess.

what are details of PC? updating driver software might help with both problems.